Page 327 of 717 FirstFirst ... 227277317325326327328329337377427 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,270 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Also LB, the general tendency of youngsters to feel invincible and that this virus only affects their Grandparents. A general not universal attitude I hasten to add. The Avon lady called this afternoon and stood on our doorstep with no mask. She is a little older than me I think. Luckily I was wearing two, but was disappointed that she felt her mask didn't need to be worn.
    I think the younger generation are also more likely to believe in the endless scare stories permeating social media.

They need constant reassurance, not indoctrination (and exploitation) by irresponsible know-it-alls.

So my Partner looks on her Facebook and a nail bar pops up with its "looking forward to welcoming customers back on the 12th of April" post. My Partner reads through the comments and the amount of people saying "I can't wait to get in to have my nails done and have a hug" was unbelievable!
    A hug! What planet are these people on! Surely a culling would be more effective than a vaccine?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I don't mean to sound too pessimistic but it looks like the falls in Covid cases have stalled over the past week.

Also vaccination rates appear to have slowed dramatically over the past week.

I really hope this isn't the start of a 'third wave' in the UK, plus I hope the govt aren't looking into easing restrictions too prematurely, like they did before Christmas.
    This happens if you monitor post code data, at least in mine. The big drops are going to start levelling out in favour of shallow trend as we leave the worst of it.

Yes, vaccination is dropping. Today's figure is the lowest so far. But there could be various reasons for it losing pace e.g. more resources were put into the higher groups, delays in invites to new groups, etc. So I think we have to wait a but longer to see whether this is a temporary thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
    So my Partner looks on her Facebook and a nail bar pops up with its "looking forward to welcoming customers back on the 12th of April" post. My Partner reads through the comments and the amount of people saying "I can't wait to get in to have my nails done and have a hug" was unbelievable!
    A hug! What planet are these people on! Surely a culling would be more effective than a vaccine?
    LOL C'mere Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    This happens if you monitor post code data, at least in mine. The big drops are going to start levelling out in favour of shallow trend as we leave the worst of it.

Yes, vaccination is dropping. Today's figure is the lowest so far. But there could be various reasons for it losing pace e.g. more resources were put into the higher groups, delays in invites to new groups, etc. So I think we have to wait a but longer to see whether this is a temporary thing.
    I'm sure there's also been Chinese whispers doing the rounds of possible vaccine supply shortages. Perhaps some of the current vaccination age group have work commitments which means they might be unable to make their allocated slots.

Like you said, there could be various possible factors involved.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
    Culling would be effective in stopping the anti vax protests as well.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Just watched Dr JC's latest vid on YouTube and near the end he revealed that UK cases that are currently rising are mostly in the under-40s, and cases are now falling fastest in the over-60s age group, which seems to correlate with the first jabs.

He also said today that data from Scotland reveals that Covid hospitalisations and death rates have fallen significantly in those who have had their first jabs (both the Pfizer and Oxford AZ types), which is extremely encouraging news.

Just a shame that vaccine hesitancy seems to be more pronounced in the younger age groups, especially as they're often more gullible to misinformation in general being spread across social media.
    He will be referring to a study conducted 8-15th I believe. AZ came out at 94% effective. I can't remember Pfizer without checking but a 80% rate of reduction was across the board.

It's great news. This is all from single jabs so those seriously at risk getting their second soon will be receiving a high level of protection.

Single jab efficiency will also give rise to a reduction of protective measures. It won't be great for the travel industry since they are only as strong as their weakest in some ways i.e. taking EU countries being so far behind we won't be able to go there most likely. But for the rest of the economy it's good news and being ahead of the game might mean some grabbing of business from other countries

He will be referring to a study conducted 8-15th I believe. AZ came out at 94% effective. I can't remember Pfizer without checking but a 80% rate of reduction was across the board.

It's great news. This is all from single jabs so those seriously at risk getting their second soon will be receiving a high level of protection.

Single jab efficiency will also give rise to a reduction of protective measures. It won't be great for the travel industry since they are only as strong as their weakest in some ways i.e. taking EU countries being so far behind we won't be able to go there most likely. But for the rest of the economy it's good news and being ahead of the game might mean some grabbing of business from other countries
    Yes definitely.

And like I've already said a gazillion times before, I think holidays abroad have become so overrated over the past 30 years or so, often at the expense of a lot of our own historical domestic resorts, many of which appear to be pale shadows of their former selves as a result.

Details of the study:

https://www.publichealthscotland.sco...-to-hospitals/

Just 8k cases today for the first time since the beginning of October, plus fewer Covid deaths this week compared to last week. Hope today's fall in cases isn't just a random blip or due to possible undercounting, though testing figures have gone back up again over the past few days following a bit of a lull last week, so it's generally presumed that the more persons are tested the more cases are likely to be found, which fortunately doesn't appear to be the case today.

Page 327 of 717 FirstFirst ... 227277317325326327328329337377427 ... LastLast

Thread Information