Page 405 of 717 FirstFirst ... 305355395403404405406407415455505 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,050 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

A first dose provides around 50-65% protection. Good, but not as good as it can be. Herd immunity is going to require at least 80% of the population to be FULLY vaccinated, as in had both doses. You then also have to await immunity to build up, which takes around one month after a second dose.

The vaccine programme, in my opinion, has been a success story thus far but we are still a good few months from achieving any type of herd immunity threshold. Until that happens, and in reality we still don’t even know if this virus succumbs to herd immunity, variants that are more infectious will be a concern.

The improvements in deaths, hospitalisations and case rates are very apparent, but for us to go back to complete normal we need to be in a position to know that community transmission is virtually impossible. The only way for that to happen is for a huge majority of the population to be immune.

As ever, just sit tight. We’re getting there, we truly are, don’t let these little bumps in the road bring you down. Look at the positives, look at the progress, look at how well we’ve learned to fight this in only a few months.

I'm not entirely sure that "herd immunity" in the UK is possible any more, like it isn't believed possible in the US now but I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    A first dose provides around 50-65% protection. Good, but not as good as it can be. Herd immunity is going to require at least 80% of the population to be FULLY vaccinated, as in had both doses. You then also have to await immunity to build up, which takes around one month after a second dose.

The vaccine programme, in my opinion, has been a success story thus far but we are still a good few months from achieving any type of herd immunity threshold. Until that happens, and in reality we still don’t even know if this virus succumbs to herd immunity, variants that are more infectious will be a concern.

The improvements in deaths, hospitalisations and case rates are very apparent, but for us to go back to complete normal we need to be in a position to know that community transmission is virtually impossible. The only way for that to happen is for a huge majority of the population to be immune.

As ever, just sit tight. We’re getting there, we truly are, don’t let these little bumps in the road bring you down. Look at the positives, look at the progress, look at how well we’ve learned to fight this in only a few months.
    It's a shame the authorities in this country failed to take swift action against the Indian variant just over a month ago (e.g, never even thought of mitigating measures such as surge vaccinations in affected areas) and as per usual left it until the horse had already bolted from the stable.

It's also scandalous that the govt also left it until the eleventh hour before adding India to the red list at the end of April, by which time the variant had already been let loose in this country, though it's speculated that there were political agendas at play for them being hesitant in not doing so sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    DO you know what they are doing in areas of surging variants - GIVING THEM THE VACCINE EARLIER. Phil, I try and let your overtly self-centred comments pass mostly (as it is clear you have an inability to see beyond your own needs and have empathy), but really quit this now. Are you actually part of the UK society ? Do you have any responsibility ? Do you think the rest of us are here to protect you in our actions ? Have you seen the terrified people having their vaccines, on this very site, as they feel moral responsibility. YOUR anxiety, YOUR anxiety, its always about that, most people are anxious yet they are trying to take action to BRING THIS PANDEMIC UNDER CONTROL. Don't want the vaccine, fine, but please stop complaining about the pandemic affecting you when you aren't doing anything to stop it. It is insensitive and misguided. We need as many people as possible to have this vaccine, for the well being of ALL of us.
    Exactly why I don’t bother posting here much anymore when people have a one minded poor attitude. I have nothing else to add as it’s not worth arguing with you over.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Exactly why I don’t bother posting here much anymore when people have a one minded poor attitude. I have nothing else to add as it’s not worth arguing with you over.
    Well what do you expect the powers that be to do about the current situation?

Simply do nothing and let the Indian variant risk causing a 'third wave' and inadvertantly a fourth national lockdown, which will cause you further angst and inconvenience?

On another forum (which I won't name on here) some sad case know-it-all has already piped up with some BS conspiracy theory about the Indian variant being a hoax by the UK govt and a deliberate ploy to get people jabbed against their will and inadvertently 'control' the UK population, plus turn us into a 'Nazi' state, which really made my blood boil!

I still think permitting people to go on holiday abroad from yesterday was a tad premature and it sadly seems that such lessons from last year still haven't been learned.

What exactly have you done to help us get out of this situation. Wear a mask? Make a concerted effort to face your fears and get vaccinated?

Sorry, Phil, I get that you struggle but you can't complain when you're an active part of the problem.

Exactly why I don’t bother posting here much anymore when people have a one minded poor attitude.
    Oh give me strength. Listen again - don't wear a mask, don't get vaccinated - your choice entirely. However, don't have the absolute gall to constantly come on here (which has happened the whole pandemic) and complain about lockdowns, not being able to go to the cinema, the vaccine passports that will curtail you, the effect on your life and anxiety, the fact you can't go abroad, the uptake of vaccines being too low/high enough blah blah etc. We are not all here to save you, its called society, a community, its about all doing your part. Go and read some of the threads from people on here, those who are utterly utterly terrified of the vaccine, but who are trying so damned hard to address it. You know what, some of them might never get the vaccine due to their anxiety, but they feel some moral responsibility and are making an effort to at least tackle things - which I applaud them for. Its fortuate for you that most people are trying so hard to do what is right, at the level they are able. I know you have struggles, as Blue mentioned above, and that I understand - but I don't understand the complaining about the rest of society and its impact on you, as if you aren't part of it.
    Last edited by Carys; 18-05-21 at 12:33.

Looks like Europe is going down the vaccine passport route.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...passports.html

I personally gave you a very detailed and normal reply directly addressing your concerns. There was even encouragement to look on the bright side in there.

You have zoned in on replies that you don’t like and completely ignored the ones that directly addressed your concerns. Why?

Your attitude is very poor itself but I personally see no point in pointing that out to you anymore because it’s evident that you’re not interested in changing it. You seem more concerned with being a victim all the time, whether at the hands of the pandemic or at the hands of other posters here. You’re MIA when things are going better but you’re here in a heartbeat when there’s something else that you can wring your hands over.

If you want help, I’ll help you, or at least I’ll try. You’ve got to be willing to accept that help, though. Drop the woe is me attitude, drop the victim mentality, try to show a bit more empathy and you’ll get a benefit from posting here. Using it as a sounding board for incessant complaining is going to do nothing more than annoy people and leave you feeling miserable.

Page 405 of 717 FirstFirst ... 305355395403404405406407415455505 ... LastLast

Thread Information