Page 562 of 717 FirstFirst ... 62462512552560561562563564572612662 ... LastLast
Results 5,611 to 5,620 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    As if all of a sudden Covid is of lesser importance to them and now overshadowed by the so-called Energy Crisis!
    It's certainly a crisis if your choice this winter is "heat or eat".

Round here and into town the petrol stations are full of queues: this could be a serious problem for me if there's no petrol by Tuesday night as I won't be able to drive to work Wednesday to Friday - my commute is 160 miles and I can get 500 miles from a tank-full of petrol. As I'm part of the "gig economy", that'll be over £1200 lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    It's certainly a crisis if your choice this winter is "heat or eat".

Round here and into town the petrol stations are full of queues: this could be a serious problem for me if there's no petrol by Tuesday night as I won't be able to drive to work Wednesday to Friday - my commute is 160 miles and I can get 500 miles from a tank-full of petrol. As I'm part of the "gig economy", that'll be over £1200 lost.
    I appreciate what you're saying PM, but in the meantime Covid still hasn't gone away.

Having said that I do remember saying on here around this time last year during the onset of the Covid second wave that I wouldn't mind betting in a year's time we would be moving onto the next big 'panic stations' situation, and so far I seem to be correct.

Over recent weeks we've also had the AUKUS submarine thing and the resurgence of the Taliban in Afghanistan, though the latter seems to have slipped a fair way down the pecking order of the daily news headlines over the past couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I appreciate what you're saying PM, but in the meantime Covid still hasn't gone away.
    From the BBC News website:

Where's the "absent" coronavirus heading?

"Hest or eat"..yet people are still desperate for fancy holidays in exotic climes?

The truly poor will be the ones suffering who won't get the financial help they need.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    "Hest or eat"..yet people are still desperate for fancy holidays in exotic climes?

The truly poor will be the ones suffering who won't get the financial help they need.
    Plus most people would still rather believe in the endless conspiracy theories about Labour, Lib Dems, etc.

Also shows how people get swept up in all this panic buying hysteria, despite constant reassurances that there are no actual shortages of petrol and diesel, it's just certain forecourts facing supply issues, but unfortunately many aren't listening despite appeals for calm.

A kind of self-fulfilling prophecy in many respects.

Also very reminiscent of the Great Toilet Roll Stampedes of March 2020!

My dad was saying tonight that he reckons many actually revel in all the drama and excitement of such events, and I'm inclined to agree with him.

It does also seem to carry some kind of 'tribal' nature, where people actively enjoy being adrenalised by it all!

I was there at the forecourt this morning. I filled the tank plus seven large water carriers. Will have to put those in the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    I was there at the forecourt this morning. I filled the tank plus seven large water carriers. Will have to put those in the shed.
    I can't tell whether you are serious or not?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I can't tell whether you are serious or not?
    Its ok folks I'm kidding. It was only four...

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Its ok folks I'm kidding. It was only four...
    Phew..That's ok then. Means I'm safe to go out at the crack of dawn tomorrow with my portable water butt..

I've noticed a trend in the UK over the past 2 months or so where overall rates of Covid have basically been cycling up and down more or less on a fortnightly average.

Meanwhile, the media over the past 2-3 weeks or so have hardly been making a song and dancing over Covid to the extent that they were previously.

Also, my area (Tamworth) currently has the lowest 7-day average of infections in Staffs (on the dashboard site) despite it previously being one of the worst-hit in the county fairly recently.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 27-09-21 at 17:05.

Page 562 of 717 FirstFirst ... 62462512552560561562563564572612662 ... LastLast

Thread Information