Page 580 of 717 FirstFirst ... 80480530570578579580581582590630680 ... LastLast
Results 5,791 to 5,800 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Yes she does..Who knows how much actual protection I have from bad Covid but I've done all I can in terms of immunisation. It does seem to be very random as to how people are affected and for how long. i'm not worried about actually getting covid..More worried about how my daughter's mental health would be affected.
    Last night I had a look at a short video on YouTube from Sky News which was about the current Covid situation here in the UK vs mainland Europe, and the 'conundrum' that cases aren't currently skyrocketing in the UK, unlike certain mainland European nations such as Austria, Germany, etc, where daily cases have reached all-time pandemic highs.

In addition to greater numbers of vaccinated in the UK, the fact that we reopened much earlier than most of mainland Europe and even our immediate neighbours the Republic of Ireland, is most ironically believed to have provided many of us Brits with greater herd immunity, plus the vast majority of cases since 'Freedom Day' reportedly being in the younger generations, of whom are usually more resilient and less likely to be hospitalised and/or die of Covid. Dr JC also mentioned this the other day in one of his videos.

BTW, I shall be getting my third booster jab this afternoon, so that will be my entire family done at least for this season.

Well I'm now fully jabbed ahead of the winter season.

Today is the first Tuesday since 12th October where recorded Covid deaths have been below 200, and according to the dashboard site, daily deaths averaged approximately 600 this time last year, still without vaccines.

Also see the BBC website for some interesting info right now about the situation in the UK vs mainland Europe.

An observation, how true I know not:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...ford-scientist

Covid-19 is no longer a disease of the vaccinated, the head of the Oxford jab programme has said.

The “ongoing horror” of patients gasping for breath in hospital is now “largely restricted” to people who are unvaccinated, according to Prof Sir Andrew Pollard.
    Even though the more transmissible Delta variant continues to infect thousands, most of those who are fully vaccinated will experience only “mild infections” that are “little more than an unpleasant inconvenience”.
    I will continue to treat it as something that may well kill me, ta after seeing what it did to my fully-jabbed nephew.

One thing I am getting heartily sick of though is the almost-gloating tone taken by several media outlets regarding the situation in mainland Europe, almost trying to spin it as a positive for Brexit. We still have very high cases per day and still a high number of deaths per day - I see little to crow about there.

Where my mother-in-law lives cases have trebled in the last seven days, from 47 to 144.
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 23-11-21 at 18:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    An observation, how true I know not:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...ford-scientist

I will continue to treat it as something that may well kill me, ta after seeing what it did to my fully-jabbed nephew.

One thing I am getting heartily sick of though is the almost-gloating tone taken by several media outlets regarding the situation in mainland Europe, almost trying to spin it as a positive for Brexit. We still have very high cases per day and still a high number of deaths per day - I see little to crow about there.

Where my mother-in-law lives cases have trebled in the last seven days, from 47 to 144.
    Seriously, what's the Covid situation here vs mainland Europe got to do with Brexit (and vice versa) right now?

On the other hand, I am not in any way denying there are still dire Covid-related issues here though?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Seriously, what's the Covid situation here vs mainland Europe got to do with Brexit (and vice versa) right now?

On the other hand, I am not in any way denying there are still dire Covid-related issues here though?
    It has been all the way through e.g. vaccination programme without interference, border (leaky) control without FOM comeback, etc.

But media on both sides of the channel, politicians and the public have been gloating at each other all the way through this. And some have praised us too e.g. German media over vaccination when they were drawing attention to internal problems .

Plague island, remember? It's swings & roundabouts. It's how they make their money.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It has been all the way through e.g. vaccination programme without interference, border (leaky) control without FOM comeback, etc.

But media on both sides of the channel, politicians and the public have been gloating at each other all the way through this. And some have praised us too e.g. German media over vaccination when they were drawing attention to internal problems .

Plague island, remember? It's swings & roundabouts. It's how they make their money.
    Definitely swings and roundabouts as both the UK and mainland Europe have their respective issues although I don't really side with either 'camp' (Remainers or Leavers).

But the UK has for donkeys years been labelled 'the sick man/laughing stock of Europe', under the watch of both Tory and Labour govts and like you said, by media on both sides of the channel.

There will always be 'gloating', rivalry and sense of sneery superiority in some form or another, whether it's the UK, mainland Europe, the USA, Australia, you name them. We've always had it between the main four UK nations (England, Scotland, Wales and NI), and even between different regions and settlements within the main four UK nations. Twas ever thus.

I say bring back the Home Internationals and let us fight it out on the football fields!

Nothing's ever going to be decided re Covid management. There's far too much choice, always a need for "outrage" and copious excuses for the MH banner to be wielded at the slightest provocation.

I think if you refuse to be vaccinated then you waive your right to an ICU bed for any covid related issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I say bring back the Home Internationals and let us fight it out on the football fields!

Nothing's ever going to be decided re Covid management. There's far too much choice, always a need for "outrage" and copious excuses for the MH banner to be wielded at the slightest provocation.

I think if you refuse to be vaccinated then you waive your right to an ICU bed for any covid related issue.
    And the slightest hints of a proposed fourth national lockdown in this country would be an automatic licence to riot, not only because of the perceived injustices of restrictions amongst the anti-lockdowners and non-believers, but probably also because many of those factions were already spoiling for riots and anarchy in this country anyway, restrictions or not, plus they would probably relish the chance to do copycats of events in mainland Europe of late, if only for their fifteen minutes of fame!

BTW, these are only hypothetical scenarios, and not actually happening here in this country ATM.

If we have another lockdown in December I won't riot, but I will be deeply miffed. In three weeks I'm getting a tattoo I've been secretly wanting for YEARS, and if it gets called off I may have to have a little cry.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    If we have another lockdown in December I won't riot, but I will be deeply miffed. In three weeks I'm getting a tattoo I've been secretly wanting for YEARS, and if it gets called off I may have to have a little cry.
    Neither will I, as I think rioting is a waste of time full stop, especially going by many a past disturbance in this country.

I mean what did the nutjobs who let rip back in August 2011 actually achieve in terms of social justice, etc?

Even more angst, animosity and polarisation within society, plus many innocent, law-abiding folks' livelihoods and personal MH being ruined through no fault of their own!

Page 580 of 717 FirstFirst ... 80480530570578579580581582590630680 ... LastLast

Thread Information