Page 601 of 717 FirstFirst ... 101501551591599600601602603611651701 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,010 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethalice View Post
    Very true. I'll try tomorrow evening!
    Good plan..You'll feel better once you've got it done and no point in waiting for the official invite. I've had about 5 texts from the NHS telling me to get my booster. I had it done on 23rd October (walk in centre) and the texts only started about 3 weeks later.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    If we are now in an emergency situation why no further restrictions? No face masks needed in pubs despite this emergency. Carry on with Christmas parties despite this emergency.
    He knows if he tries it he'll lose both the forthcoming votes in the Commons *and* the co-operation of the electorate - and more importantly to Johnson and Carrie Antoinette, he'll likely run into a vote of no confidence in him. At least 15% of sitting Conservative MPs must write a letter to the head of the 1922 Committee to trigger this, which amounts to 54 MPs. That could easily happen now but Johnson should be able to secure the 50%+1 Conservative MPs to keep him in a job.

I am convinced his days are numbered; but looking at the bunch of sycophants, lightweights and let's be brutally honest, downright thick and venal MPs around him I'm thinking that he really is the least worst option!

People will take matters into their own hands without Boris having to impose legal restrictions. Pointless trying to "encourage" vaccine uptake from those who have refused so far.

Just hope it's easy to get a booster if you want to have one and that the supplies of vaccine are in the right place at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    People will take matters into their own hands without Boris having to impose legal restrictions. Pointless trying to "encourage" vaccine uptake from those who have refused so far.

Just hope it's easy to get a booster if you want to have one and that the supplies of vaccine are in the right place at the right time.
    Dead right, many will still continue to refuse point blank to get jabbed, wear masks and stick to the rules even if (dare I say it) they're threatened with a full-on war!

In case I have triggered anyone, I know there isn't actually going to be a 'war' in order to get people to comply with jabs, masks and general Covid rules, just said partly in jest.

As far as Boris's current issues are concerned, someone commented on another forum yesterday that he always seems to bounce back again after periods of disarray, and he'll probably end up bribing himself out of this current situation yet again, and especially if the media start finding further 'scandals' concerning Starmer and Co (past or present).

Right now I just wish it was 1997 all over again, not necessarily because of Blair and Co's victory in the election that year (which of course still remains a subject of thorny debate and controversy amongst many), but it was just generally a far more innocent and carefree time, still before the Internet entered the mainstream, social media was still only just under a decade away, the news was still only on the TV at set times throughout the day rather than 24/7 rolling news channels that have since evolved and we were still seemingly a much less fearful and paranoid society, unlike today where a lot of people seem to have the ab-dabs over nearly everything, sometimes without due reason.

The world moves on, though, and on the whole I think it's a good thing as long as we're ready to move with it. In 1997 I was suicidally depressed and self-harming, trying to come to terms with my abusive past and (at the time) present.

I think it's natural for things to seem alien and confusing as we get older, but it's important to keep an open mind and an open heart.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I think it's natural for things to seem alien and confusing as we get older, but it's important to keep an open mind and an open heart.
    The thing I find disheartening is the realisation - that has got much stronger this last year or two - that I am much closer to the end of my life than the beginning. Hearing from friends whom I remember starting work with me to learn they now have eighteen year old sons: some are even grandparents.

Closely followed by "And what have I achieved? Not a lot."

I do find the world around me very confusing at times; I struggle to keep up with the technology in use at work, I struggle with how modern cars work, the list goes on. But most of all I struggle with how society has developed in the last forty years and whilst some of the changes are welcome, others are not.

It sounds like you are doing better now, BI, and I hope so.

Chaos at the walk in near here apparently, people are saying they've stopped doing them and there have been 2-3 hour long queues. I'm going to try on Wednesday when I'm back in London I think. As you predicted Pulisa, booking system not working at all, and no lateral flows available either! Luckily I have 2 packets of those horrible old ones.

My friends have all said they will do an LFT on Thursday so that's good. I am very anxious about going for dinner but these are some friends who I haven't seen for 2 years and it is getting to the point where not seeing my friends is really affecting me mentally....

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    The thing I find disheartening is the realisation - that has got much stronger this last year or two - that I am much closer to the end of my life than the beginning. Hearing from friends whom I remember starting work with me to learn they now have eighteen year old sons: some are even grandparents.

Closely followed by "And what have I achieved? Not a lot."

I do find the world around me very confusing at times; I struggle to keep up with the technology in use at work, I struggle with how modern cars work, the list goes on. But most of all I struggle with how society has developed in the last forty years and whilst some of the changes are welcome, others are not.
    Believe me, I get you. I have friends and colleagues with kids in their twenties. That's the path they've chosen, though; I never wanted to inflict my own neuroses on the next generation and I don't have any regrets. I think the key is to work out what you love and make sure you do it. I do also think there's a tendency, when we're unhappy, to view the past with rose-tinted glasses.

It sounds like you are doing better now, BI, and I hope so.

Chaos at the walk in near here apparently, people are saying they've stopped doing them and there have been 2-3 hour long queues. I'm going to try on Wednesday when I'm back in London I think. As you predicted Pulisa, booking system not working at all, and no lateral flows available either! Luckily I have 2 packets of those horrible old ones.

My friends have all said they will do an LFT on Thursday so that's good. I am very anxious about going for dinner but these are some friends who I haven't seen for 2 years and it is getting to the point where not seeing my friends is really affecting me mentally....
    Thank you! I had no idea things had got so bad - I'm glad I got my booster out of the way.

I heard on the radio at ten o'clock that the system is already falling over - what did they expect? Johnson really is a fool.

You've reminded me that I need to get some more LF tests from the chemist (I only have six tests left) - maybe these will be the nostril-only ones this time although I find that the nostril swab makes me sneeze. As the chemist is next to where I get my Christmas cards from (I need a few more) that'll be a good opportunity.

Page 601 of 717 FirstFirst ... 101501551591599600601602603611651701 ... LastLast

Thread Information