Page 602 of 717 FirstFirst ... 102502552592600601602603604612652702 ... LastLast
Results 6,011 to 6,020 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

While I hate being the bearer of bad news, the first death of a person WITH Omicron has now officially been confirmed in the UK.

Though still best not to start jumping to conclusions and having the ab-dabs too soon, as they haven't yet elaborated on the full story, and for all we know so far, it might not be specifically because OF Omicron, it might still be simply WITH Omicron, but actually of another illness at the same time.

Still, cue the inevitable hysterical headlines on the front page of tomorrow's Daily Mail!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    While I hate being the bearer of bad news, the first death of a person WITH Omicron has now officially been confirmed in the UK.

Though still best not to start jumping to conclusions and having the ab-dabs too soon, as they haven't yet elaborated on the full story, and for all we know so far, it might not be specifically because OF Omicron, it might still be simply WITH Omicron, but actually of another illness at the same time.

Still, cue the inevitable hysterical headlines on the front page of tomorrow's Daily Mail!
    BUT....on a more positive and encouraging note (now we've got the bad news out the way), there have been scenes on the BBC News channel this morning showing long queues for booster jabs and there have even been reports of NHS site outages due to the unprecedented scale of online bookings for the same jab.

Also there's now reportedly a shortage of LFT kits, again due to unprecedented demand!

All extremely remarkable (and indeed ironic) considering not so long ago vaccines were considered 'public enemy number one' by certain factions, and now all of a sudden people can't get enough of them!

But mine and my parents' boosters were pretty timely, and thank god!

I'm layering up and walking down to a pharmacy who said "we are theoretically doing boosters but can't guarantee anything" - wish me luck!

Just saw this. But as you say, we need to know more about the person. My gran is currently very very unwell and I'm in no doubt that she could die of omicron. But she is incredibly frail and at the moment even a cold could be lethal. My boyfriend has a cold currently so, despite the fact I don't seem to have caught it, I took the heartbreaking decision to cancel my visit to see her today just in case. It's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethalice View Post
    Just saw this. But as you say, we need to know more about the person. My gran is currently very very unwell and I'm in no doubt that she could die of omicron. But she is incredibly frail and at the moment even a cold could be lethal. My boyfriend has a cold currently so, despite the fact I don't seem to have caught it, I took the heartbreaking decision to cancel my visit to see her today just in case. It's not worth it.
    Probably the wisest thing.

But of course a lot of the news over the past 24 hours has obviously put the frighteners on many to suddenly take note and get jabbed ASAP, even before the milestone announcement of the first death of a person with Omicron.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethalice View Post
    I'm layering up and walking down to a pharmacy who said "we are theoretically doing boosters but can't guarantee anything" - wish me luck!
    I really hope you are lucky and can be jabbed today. It's a lottery, isn't it? Unfair to expect vaccine centres to be prepared for an onslaught when they weren't informed in time of the new directives.

I'm so sorry that you can't see your grandmother but you've done the right thing. It's just not worth the risk even though it's so disappointing for you both.

I don’t know why it has to be such big news. I assume to get people to book boosters on a broken system?
    Countless other people have died from the other variants too. It’s all sh1t. That should be the headline!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I really hope you are lucky and can be jabbed today. It's a lottery, isn't it? Unfair to expect vaccine centres to be prepared for an onslaught when they weren't informed in time of the new directives.

I'm so sorry that you can't see your grandmother but you've done the right thing. It's just not worth the risk even though it's so disappointing for you both.
    Didn't win the jackpot lottery today! The pharmacist was really nice and said he wished he could have given me a booster there and then but he still can't for under 40s and advised me to try again on Wednesday. He said they actually have plenty of doses in stock but legally can't give them to anyone under 40! Frustrating for both of us!

Thankyou, it was definitely the right decision, the last thing I would want to do is pass something to her to make her even poorlier. She has dementia and its worsened due to this recent illness so I am quite sad to think about how she must be very confused with everything going on :( but my uncle and aunt can carry on seeing her and they are allowed to bring their dog who helps a lot. The care home staff are excellent too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I don’t know why it has to be such big news. I assume to get people to book boosters on a broken system?
    Countless other people have died from the other variants too. It’s all sh1t. That should be the headline!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought this too. It was going to happen eventually, while I am very very pro vaccine/ boosters/ being safe (and just did a 90 minute round trip walk to try and get my booster!) it seems a bit convenient timing that this is announced after his speech last night. I just wish the newspapers would think of people with anxiety before they post. I know that'll never happen, but wouldn't it be nice!

I don't really understand why, if 2 jabs are ineffective , a third should make all the difference? And for how long?

Page 602 of 717 FirstFirst ... 102502552592600601602603604612652702 ... LastLast

Thread Information