Page 640 of 717 FirstFirst ... 140540590630638639640641642650690 ... LastLast
Results 6,391 to 6,400 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    There seems to be a big panic about increased hospitalisations right now, but no one seems to be elaborating on what's truly going on (e.g, 'incidental' Covid infections with patients actually admitted for other reasons, or whether or not Omicron might actually be more harmful than we first thought, and now maybe starting to show in hospitalisations?).
    It's partially because of both the numbers being hospitalised and the large number of NHS staff that are isolating at home. It won't take much for the NHS to collapse, especially when we have a combination of staff isolating due to Omicron combined with Javid sacking all the unvaccinated front-line staff - and there are lots of those.

Twitter thread worth reading here: https://twitter.com/ChrisCEOHopson/s...779910149?s=20

I am certain Omicron is driving the rapidly-increasing hospitalisation, and still of the opinion that suggesting Omicron is "less severe" is rather foolhardy. It will kill people and I really wish people would stop saying "but South Africa". Different demographic altogether.
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 01-01-22 at 20:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I am certain Omicron is driving the rapidly-increasing hospitalisation, and still of the opinion that suggesting Omicron is "less severe" is rather foolhardy. It will kill people and I really wish people would stop saying "but South Africa". Different demographic altogether.
    If that's the case then why aren't the 'experts' (not the politicians) being straight with us and telling us the truth then?

Also if that's the case, maybe we should just go the whole hog and have the umpteenth national lockdown then!

If that's the case then why aren't the 'experts' (not the politicians) being straight with us and telling us the truth then?

Also if that's the case, maybe we should just go the whole hog and have the umpteenth national lockdown then!
    Not on Sajid's watch. He wants to be in the running when Boris gets toppled.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Not on Sajid's watch. He wants to be in the running when Boris gets toppled.
    It's even been speculated on the BBC site tonight that it may now actually be too late for a lockdown in order to buy time for the NHS, as the horse has already bolted.

This was covered in the current headline article.

It's even been speculated on the BBC site tonight that it may now actually be too late for a lockdown in order to buy time for the NHS, as the horse has already bolted.

This was covered in the current headline article.
    Anyone looking at the numbers should draw that conclusion.

I also think it's obvious Omicron is driving hospitalisations, you've only to look at the regional charts, but we can't say it's Delta, Alpha or any other all over again. There are unanswered elements such as who is getting admitted, how long for and in what state? For instance, numbers are up in my hospital but ventilation beds are down.

Omicron looks like it's infecting 3-4x more people and that, with a lower % of hospitalisations, can add up to more than Delta. But they might need less intensive support.

The question of resources to NHS bosses is distinct from the worry of how bad you may be affected.

We also need to keep in mind doctors will also keep some vulnerable people in just in case. They still make up the numbers but could be milder cases doctors would prefer to he sure about. My mum is in this category.

Given what usually happens this time of year in NSW that may have been a poor choice of words...
    You're right PM
    I didn't think of that

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Anyone looking at the numbers should draw that conclusion.

I also think it's obvious Omicron is driving hospitalisations, you've only to look at the regional charts, but we can't say it's Delta, Alpha or any other all over again. There are unanswered elements such as who is getting admitted, how long for and in what state? For instance, numbers are up in my hospital but ventilation beds are down.

Omicron looks like it's infecting 3-4x more people and that, with a lower % of hospitalisations, can add up to more than Delta. But they might need less intensive support.

The question of resources to NHS bosses is distinct from the worry of how bad you may be affected.

We also need to keep in mind doctors will also keep some vulnerable people in just in case. They still make up the numbers but could be milder cases doctors would prefer to he sure about. My mum is in this category.
    Plus of course there's the 'incidental' Omicron infections of patients who were actually admitted to hospital for other things, which no doubt also inflate the Covid hospitalisation stats, as they all seem to confusingly get lumped together.

Ditto for deaths that may have actually been caused by other things (e.g, cancer, being killed in car crashes, house fires, etc) where the persons concerned at the same time happened to have 'incidental' Omicron infections, but again confusingly get lumped together with overall Covid fatalities, which inadvertently inflates the stats artificially.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill2 View Post
    Same down here.
    I think the pollies have given up and are leaving it to us.
    Are you getting your RAT tests for free?
    We have to buy our own IF you csn find a shop with any left.

I Finally got 2 RAT tests and the chemist charged me $60,I phoned ACCC and was told that they are $12 to $15
    I heard QLD cases are rising.
    Dad leaves hospital tomorrow so hopefully can finally get back into Tassie

Plus of course there's the 'incidental' Omicron infections of patients who were actually admitted to hospital for other things, which no doubt also inflate the Covid hospitalisation stats, as they all seem to confusingly get lumped together.

Ditto for deaths that may have actually been caused by other things (e.g, cancer, being killed in car crashes, house fires, etc) where the persons concerned at the same time happened to have 'incidental' Omicron infections, but again confusingly get lumped together with overall Covid fatalities, which inadvertently inflates the stats artificially.
    You're beginning to sound like the "with or of" Covid deniers.

You're beginning to sound like the "with or of" Covid deniers.
    In fact, I'm far from being a Covid denier. It's more the lack of definitive info and the fact that it's still rather vague is what's concerning me right now.

Plus of course there's still a lot of 'conflicting' info, where people seem to tell us one thing one minute then the opposite the next, ad-infinitum.

Page 640 of 717 FirstFirst ... 140540590630638639640641642650690 ... LastLast

Thread Information