Page 85 of 717 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185585 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

My guess would be post stage change spikes. They always said changes going into lockdown take weeks to show up so the same should be the case coming out. It's why I've wondered about the speed we are opening up because how can they be that sure it's not going up if states are too close together to allow the stats to change?

There was a piece in the news about it yesterday quoting Imperial College about it. Their response seemed to be it's too early to tell. This brings me back to my question about the speed of opening up since that's supposed to be using data from this lot isn't it?

When do you reckon "CoronaVirus The Movie" will be released? A true blurring of fact and fiction no doubt which is probably what is going on behind the Parliamentary scenes now..Could you make it up?

I don't follow the stats but I suspect there are dedicated teams of stats fudgers beavering away around the clock in various secret locations. Official presentation of figures may be slick but there will be heated moments away from the cameras!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    When do you reckon "CoronaVirus The Movie" will be released? A true blurring of fact and fiction no doubt which is probably what is going on behind the Parliamentary scenes now..Could you make it up?
    Someone said elsewhere you can imagine some bloody rom-com called "Social Distancing" in the future, probably starring Reece Witherspoon....

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Something rather dubious concerning today's stats, as the confirmed cases have leapt back above 800 (820) and even the deaths are 148 (just 48 yesterday).

Something very fishy going on, either were the stats over more recent days were undercounted or are we now heading the same way as the USA?
    On Twitter (yes, I know...) someone said the deaths figure was a result of unrecorded data prior to June 15th being included.

Either way, I'm beginning to think we are being misled on a grand scale here in England: look at Wales, Scotland and NI by comparison. Oh, of course - they're not being run by a cretinous pork haystack being controlled by an unelected psychopath.

Maybe the ONS is a more reliable source for data, such as this:
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...-of-well-being
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 12-07-20 at 12:02.

"Pork haystack"!! Poor Boris..He was pretty ill a few weeks back but do you reckon that was faked to encourage everyone to take the virus seriously? He could have been quaffing champagne as a private patient with a mild tickle of a cough?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Someone said elsewhere you can imagine some bloody rom-com called "Social Distancing" in the future, probably starring Reece Witherspoon....
    Can't you just?! Or "Socially Distanced" The Musical..if theatres ever open again. Can see Sheridan Smith in that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    On Twitter (yes, I know...) someone said the deaths figure was a result of unrecorded data prior to June 15th being included.

Either way, I'm beginning to think we are being misled on a grand scale here in England: look at Wales, Scotland and NI by comparison. Oh, of course - they're not being run by a cretinous pork haystack being controlled by an unelected psychopath.

Maybe the ONS is a more reliable source for data, such as this:
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...-of-well-being
    With regards to the current political situation, strangely Labour seem to be regarded as the greater of the two evils against BoJo and Co, and for all the wrong reasons IMO. And they haven't even been in power for the past ten years, yet they still keep getting in the neck. In fact, someone I know admitted to me just prior to last December's GE, that this govt are the worst they have ever known during their lifetime, but they were (ironically) still convinced that things would end up being even worse under Labour, and started harping on about the second Iraq war, the Credit Crunch and too many pesky foreigners coming here under their watch. I tried to explain that the Credit Crunch in particular was a global issue of its time and not just specific to the UK, and that we had the first Iraq war (under the Tories) in early 1991, but she simply weren't having none of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    Either we are seeing the after-effects of the recent opening up of pubs and communal crowd gatherings, or there is something fishy going on. I watch the stats like you Lencoboy and I noticed about a week ago a sudden increase on the data.gov figures ... similar to what they have been doing for the last month or so adding previously (supposedly) unreported cases/deaths from a week or two weeks prior - except that a week or so back all the regional case numbers suddenly increased by anything from 20 - 300 cases. There was some incomprehensible explanation as to why the numbers had risen but it was far from clear to me. Nothing correlates to what we hear in the news reports (Leicester / Myrthyr Tidfil being a good examples).

I just get the impression that they are making it up as they go along because they have lost track or data or the reporting is so so irregular. If as they keeping harping on about that new infections in the public arena are diminishing regularly, then where on earth are these hundreds of new cases sourced from? Cases in hospital or care homes or in the community? Where, who or when? You can't make any sense out of it.
    Agreed, all very confusing.

I still think it's too early to start blaming the reopening of pubs, etc, as like you said, there might be many different factors involved, and over a longer period of time.

Also this current (dare I say it) 'uptick' hopefully might just be a mere 'blip', which I'm sure we've seen before since about May or so.

I still think it's too early to start blaming the reopening of pubs, etc, as like you said, there might be many different factors involved, and over a longer period of time.

Also this current (dare I say it) 'uptick' hopefully might just be a mere 'blip', which I'm sure we've seen before since about May or so.
    BTW, today's cases are 650, so it's plausible that yesterday may just have been a blip, though the situation is constantly evolving.

Take that man out and have him shot for saying 'uptick'!

The major city near here has seen an increase of nearly 60 cases in the last week: so I have moved my "click and collect" shopping away to a less-rampant area and in addition I will be isolating myself after having developed a swollen throat and a slight earache on one side yesterday. I have no Covid-like symptoms but I'm not happy I caught that, mask or no mask: I also note the WHO recommendation that medically vulnerable people should not wear face coverings, but proper medical masks.

Have you tried buying FFP3 masks?!

Page 85 of 717 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185585 ... LastLast

Thread Information