Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found tiny lump in breast

Re: Found tiny lump in breast

I know what it must look like for anyone reading this - I've been down this rabbit hole a few times before, was convinced something serious was wrong and always got the all clear.
    But it does feel different this time. And I know people will say yeah, whatever, I say that every time. But this lump really does feel different. It stands out and I can't feel another lump like it on either breast.
    The only positive thing I can say is that it does seem to be fairly smooth and it's not very big.
    I even had a nightmare last night about it, which isn't good!
    I'm so afraid of ringing the doctor tomorrow because I don't know what will happen
    I'm trying so hard to use the worksheets but it's not working at the moment. Maybe you need to be out of the rabbit hole and in a reasonably good place to start working on them!

I'm not sure why I'm posting again, but I'm feeling so low and alone at the moment.
    The truth is I'm scared to death. Don't even know if I can see my GP or get referred to a clinic - I'm really frightened.
    I can't stop feeling the lump and it's so obvious.
    I don't know what to do anymore.
    I'll ring my doctor's surgery in the morning but I want to speak to my usual doctor and I don't even know what days she works there (there's a few doctors there and their days vary)
    I just wish this was over .......

Hi BrokenGirl

I’m sorry you are feeling so low at the moment I know exactly how you feel.

I know I can’t help in anyway but regarding diagnosis but I just wanted to let you know I had a lump 8 years ago on my breast - hard as a rock and I made myself sick with worry over it for 3 weeks until I got my appointment

Turns out it was a harmless - fibroidenoma ( I think that’s the spelling ) which is very very common! It’s still there today and I’m still alive.

I hope you feel better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy93 View Post
    Hi BrokenGirl

I’m sorry you are feeling so low at the moment I know exactly how you feel.

I know I can’t help in anyway but regarding diagnosis but I just wanted to let you know I had a lump 8 years ago on my breast - hard as a rock and I made myself sick with worry over it for 3 weeks until I got my appointment

Turns out it was a harmless - fibroidenoma ( I think that’s the spelling ) which is very very common! It’s still there today and I’m still alive.

I hope you feel better soon!
    Thank you for that.
    All this worry about my breast is making me feel so low, depressed and lonely, as well as worried sick :(
    I'm glad your lump turned out to be something harmless years ago but it must have been a hell of a 3 week wait for you.
    I hate breast anxiety, for me it's the worst. Once it gets hold of me nothing will shake it off.......... can't believe i'm back here again!

I rang the doctor and she told me to go straight in. Waiting to see her now, so scared.
    Trying to rationalise but it's so hard.....

I'm really sorry - please keep us posted?

Well it didn't go as well as I had hoped!
    I showed her where I felt the lump, she had a feel there and said she couldn't feel anything. Why does that happen?
    I'm not imagining it, there is a lump there. The doctor only quickly felt it but seemed happy there was no lump there.
    Is my definition of a lump and a doctor's definition of a lump different? To me a lump is anything you can feel. I'm kind of at a loss about it!

But, she said she can feel a lump to the right of where I was feeling, and it is quite large. I could also feel it. She referred me to the breast clinic but said she doesn't think it's cancer. She's referring me because, in her words, "I will refer any lump I find - a lump is a lump". Her gut is telling her it's fatty tissue.
    Surprisingly I'm not freaking out about that lump, probably because she can feel it and gave me her opinion on it.
    But I'm still worried about the original lump that she couldn't feel. I'm worried it might be the start of something sinister.

And as for referring me, I can't go private even if I want to because all of our private hospitals have been taken over at the moment. They've all been turned into public hospitals for at least 3 months. Nobody can get a private referral in this country for anything at the moment. And she's not sure what the story is with the public breast clinic. I told her I heard it was closed and all she could say was that the GPs haven't been told to stop sending referrals. She's hoping they're still seeing people but isn't sure.
    Usually a referral for a breast lump would take about 2 weeks, so I've no clue what lies ahead now as far as waiting is concerned. This could be a really long wait :(

I'm very on edge now over this. I was hoping she'd at least feel the lump and give me her opinion on it, not tell me she can't feel it and then go and find another lump!

Would any of you have an opinion on this? The doctor said she couldn't feel the lump that I had been feeling, but found another one.
    I'm raging with myself that I didn't make her feel more around that area until she felt what I can feel. It's definitely there, felt it again a few minutes ago. It is easier feel it when I'm sitting up, and I was lying down when she examined me.
    I'm so worried she missed something. If she had felt it and just gave me her opinion on it, it would make it easier now for me. But she just felt that area for a few seconds and that was it.

Has it ever happened anyone else? That you could feel a lump and the doctor couldn't?

Sorry - deleted post as I was referring to appts in England and I see you are in Ireland. Try and stay calm til you get your appointment. It's so hard not to focus on something once you've felt it....but it's 99% probably harmless.

The only thing I would say is your doctor is used to doing breast exams and she was confident of what she could feel. I don't want to insult you because I have been where you are but is it possible you are feeling bone or cartilage? Try to trust your doctor for your own peace of mind.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information