Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Zero Cases Today in NZ but ....

Re: Zero Cases Today in NZ but ....

How is NZ dealing with demand for treatment for non-Covid related illnesses, WM? Are services still available or have most of your health resources been channelled into eliminating CV?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    How is NZ dealing with demand for treatment for non-Covid related illnesses, WM? Are services still available or have most of your health resources been channelled into eliminating CV?
    Some elective surgery has been put on hold but any other non-Covid related illnesses that are critical are going ahead as usual. So far there have only been a maximum of 15 people with Covid19 in hospitals around the country. One elective surgery department here on the North Shore, Auckland is in a separate building from the main hospital so that was used for Covid19 patients only, in this way there would be no cross-over or transference of patients or staff which is ideal.
    I actually believe the hospitals were expecting a lot more people with Covid19 to require hospital treatment than there has been. So those that do end up in hospital are given the very best treatment.

In saying this, many staff have been seconded by the DHB's into centres for testing and contact tracing etc which is ongoing.

The PM and Dr Bloomfield have been encouraging people to keep their regular appointments and seek treatment but the problem is that people have been putting off going because of the fear of catching the virus. I guess it will settle down once we go Alert Level 2.

Yes our PM Jacinda Ardern is receiving accolades from many other countries and we are very proud of her and what she's helped us achieve during this time.
    Shes an amazing woman, my daughter and I have been following her and watching some her speeches in the last couple of years. She is a perfect leader in our eyes (except not ours and thats not perfect lol).

There is some talk/debate on the medical grapevine that different countries have had such different outcomes as the strains of Covid-19 are more severe in some countires, less severe in others, and that some countries (possibly UK) are seeing vast differences in types of cases as there are multiple strains. Anyone else seen anything on this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Shes an amazing woman, my daughter and I have been following her and watching some her speeches in the last couple of years. She is a perfect leader in our eyes (except not ours and thats not perfect lol).

There is some talk/debate on the medical grapevine that different countries have had such different outcomes as the strains of Covid-19 are more severe in some countires, less severe in others, and that some countries (possibly UK) are seeing vast differences in types of cases as there are multiple strains. Anyone else seen anything on this ?
    I hadn't heard anything about the above but my fiance recently read an article attaining to this and the jury's still out. Here's the link https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/w...where-why.html I still think social distancing (and isolation) is the most important factor in the fight against Covid19.

Yes, we love our daily dose of Jacinda Ardern whether a press conference or on Facebook. She has a large following on FB of people from around the world. I recently found out that she once lived in London where she worked as a senior policy advisor for British PM Tony Blair in the UK Cabinet Office and then was seconded to the Home Office to assist with a review of policing in England and Wales. Now I know why she was so successful in getting 5 million NZers into lockdown!

She may be Flavour of the Month now but one false move and she'll be pilloried. That's the nature of politics as Jeremy Corbyn will testify!

She may be Flavour of the Month now but one false move and she'll be pilloried. That's the nature of politics as Jeremy Corbyn will testify!
    Yep, that's correct and why she's so focused on taking her time, through these different alert levels. She commented in a speech, shes a perfectionist and wants to get it right first time and not have to go back to lockdown again.

Fingers crossed for a Covid-free NZ to welcome your daughter's little one into the world!

Fingers crossed for a Covid-free NZ to welcome your daughter's little one into the world!
    Best wishes from me too!

Aww, thanks you guys, I haven't been able to see her for 6 weeks but she's shown me her baby bump via video etc. She'll be working from home until baby arrives in late July then she gets paid parental leave for 26 weeks, which the Labour govt. introduced 2 years ago. Lots of lockdown knitting going on in our household

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Aww, thanks you guys, I haven't been able to see her for 6 weeks but she's shown me her baby bump via video etc. She'll be working from home until baby arrives in late July then she gets paid parental leave for 26 weeks, which the Labour govt. introduced 2 years ago. Lots of lockdown knitting going on in our household
    A Granny's prerogative!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information