Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another IBS flare up

Another IBS flare up

I had lots of problems following an infection in January and February which I posted about here. Went through tons of tests and the only thing that was found was an elevated liver function test, but it since went back to normal. I had a CT scan that was normal. After that I seemed to improve for a few weeks. But in the last few days all the symptoms started coming back! Diarrhea every morning, indigestion, and my guts constantly bubbling and making popping and groaning sounds.

I called the doctor and she suggested I might have a form of “post infectious” IBS. She prescribed an antibiotic called rifaxamin. I hope it helps but I’m still worried. I’m back to googling and stressing about my symptoms! The doctor wants me to do a colonoscopy when the office is open again “just in case” so that made me stress more.

I hate the thought that I might have to live with this for the rest of my life. I know the anxiety makes it worse too. I’m not sure what to do. I just want to be normal.

Re: Another IBS flare up

Anyone have some encouragement? The meds aren’t doing anything, and I still have cramps every day. I lost more weight too. It makes me worried something else is going on.

I'm sorry you're in pain. I too have been suffering with ibs recently. Stomach cramps and unable to eat. Spending lots of time in the bathroom. Feeling sick. My doctor prescribed buscopan, which have worked for me so far. She said to try to eat little and often. I too have lost weight, but I have to force myself to eat some days. I know mine is anxiety induced. I hope this helps you a little, you're not alone.

Take care, Debbie

Hi. I have the popping and rumbling in my stomach too and they keep telling me ibs. I've had this for 6 months. Mostly under my right rib area. Did it start after any antibiotics? Mine did. I've tried probiotics but don't seem to be working.

Dee62, Sorry you're not feeling well. I hope the buscopan continues to help. I think mine is partly anxiety induced too.

MamaCass, mine started with a food poisoning infection, but I think it got worse after the antibiotics I took for that. Maybe the rumling got worse then but it's hard to remember as it's been almost 6 months for me too!

Have you tried going lactose free? My daughter developed reflux after a gastric bug and then started getting stomach problems after eating a lot of dairy. We started with lactose free milk and cutting out a lot of strong dairy. Might be worth a try?

Have you been tested for Helicobacter Pylori? It can cause all sorts of issues with the stomach and bowel, there is a test to detect it and they treatment is easy.
    Another measure you could try is cutting gluten out of your diet. Often people with IBS are better without it.

I’m pretty much lactose free, but I do eat some low lactose dairy like hard cheeses. I haven’t tried gluten free yet so I could give that a try. I never had a problem with gluten before but I guess an intolerance can develop at any time.
    Although my dr wants me to try to gain weight before attempting any diets.

I was tested for h pylori and it was negative.

And are you taking anything for Ibs then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information