Thread: Swollen Bloated Stomach

Swollen Bloated Stomach

My stomach since mid Feb has really extended and bloated. It can at time’s be solid, make noises, cramp and since the last few days, I’ve been passing excessive gas. I had an UTi back in Feb - E. coli, which required 2 x lots of antibiotics. I have been feeling rough and been given 2 more lots of antibiotics for sinus. I am currently taking a probiotic but want to know if this could be caused by the antibiotics, if anyone else has experienced similar after taking them, or if this could be something else. If it is, then tuff for me as my dr is not seeing anyone whilst the Covid pandemic is around.

Re: Swollen Bloated Stomach

Yes, can absolutely be caused by antibiotics. Antibiotics are like carpet bombing the digestive system.

The best thing to do is carry on taking the probiotics, and make sure they're good ones. You'll also need to eat plenty of fibre rich fruit and veg to feed the probiotics, preferably as much raw as possible.

It may take a good couple of months for your gut to sort itself out once you've finished the course of AB's.

Thanks for your reply. I finished the last course of antibiotics last Saturday. I agree that I don’t think it’s a quick fix solution. The bloating is causing the odd discomfort in my abdomen and back. I’m taking Udo Super 8, which is good, along with colostrum. Hopefully should start to see some easing soon. I’ve never really struggled with antibiotics before though not really had a need to take them. But 4 weeks worth over 2 or so months is quite an overload.

Yeah I think it's likely to be multiple courses. I had my worst reaction to AB's after I had to take courses back to back after a nasty chest infection. I had stomach pain for months.

Just to update if others are or find them self in a similar position. Despite taking antibiotics and drinking Kafir, it was having no effect. I spoke with a friend who owns a health shop who advised I needed to eliminate the gas first which was acting like a cloud and making me unable to absorb correctly. I was also told by a dr that I was full of gas. Both recommended charcoal powder which I’ve been taking and is working. I’m also taking peppermint oil as well as my probiotic and Kafir. No one that I have spoken to who is medically qualified, apart from a lady that scanned me yesterday, will admit that antibiotics can cause these problems, Believe me they can and worse. I have also down a candida test with water which shows I have an overgrowth of that too. So what I’m trying to get at is, take a probiotic at the time of starting any course of antibiotic and for a few weeks after concluding them.

Thread Information