Thread: SVT

SVT

I started getting ectopic beats during my pregnancy nearly 2 years ago. These continued after the birth but were attributed to anxiety and they calmed down considerably when I started taking citalopram. During the last 2 years I've had numerous ECGs, 2 x 24 hour Hooters, a 7 day loop recorder and an echo. All normal apart from PVCs and some PACs.

However, a year ago I started to get some which felt different. I started to get a weird fluttering and when I checked my pulse it felt that my heart was stuck in a funny rhythm. I happens when I lie down too quickly mainly. This is when I got sent for a further 24 hour holter and then a 7 day recording as my dr said it could have been an SVT. Nothing other than ectopics were recorded and cardiology discharge me.

Fast forward to yesterday and I'd just walked upstairs into the bathroom when I got an almighty flutter/thud and I instinctively felt for my pulse and it hammering away. I'd never felt it beating so fast. I immediately panicked because it felt stuck in a funny rytham so I started trying to do some movements I.e. coughing yo try and get it to stop but it wouldn't. I tried to breathe through it but I was so panicked. I'm not sure how many minutes it was happening for but I kept checking and it started to slow down but remained faster than normal for most of the day. By evening I was pretty much back to my normal bpm but the whole experience has rattled me considerably. My first thought was SVT or VT and it's terrified me as I know these can be serious if prolonged and I've got a huge fear of hospitals and having to go in and be administered drugs and the drs getting it wrong and harming me (especially with what's going on in hospitals at the moment).
    I felt ok throughout the episode apart from a bit lightheaded but I'm not sure whether that was because I was feeling so anxious.
    I have got up this morning feeling utterly terrified of it happening again and not stopping. I've had so many tests and have been completely cleared by the drs but I'm so worried that it was an SVT I'd experienced. I couldn't say how fast it felt like it was going but if felt very fast. It felt even but extremely fast.
    Can anyone help? I'm so scared.

Re: SVT

Can anyone help me??

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyskye View Post
    've had so many tests and have been completely cleared by the drs
    Its been three days and you're still here so the doctor's assessments are correct.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you for your reply Fishmanpa. I'm just scared that even after app these tests something has been missed and I've got some dangerous arrhythmia. The amount of stress it's causing me is ruining my life.

Hey honeyskye!
    Like you my palpitations started after pregnancy. It was the first time I had ever experienced “skipped beats” I also went to the doctors several times and it was just brushed off. However I also believe I had an episode of SVT. Several actually, the second time it happened I rushed to the ER because like you had mentioned my heart was racing. I have a long history with anxiety. I knew this was NOT anxiety. In the ER they said it was SVT and referred me to a cardiologist. There I had an echo, holter, all the things. It only showed 3 pacs... completely unremarkable. He said what I experienced in the ER was not SVT. However I continued to have episodes. In total I have had about 5 episodes ever in the last 5 years. It’s been almost 2 years since I have experienced one. It’s never been confirmed by a cardiologist but I’m almost certain that’s what it was. Because my SVT was so random it would be impossible to get it on an ekg. The good thing is RARELY and I mean very RARELY does it cause problems. If you find yourself in this rhythm longer than 30 minutes than go to the ER to be converted. Otherwise, if you’re young, healthy, structurally normal heart, you have nothing to worry about. Control your stress and limit your caffeine intake!

Re: SVT - updated please help dr scared me

Have had a few weeks of no problems and then a few days ago was lying in bed and felt some flutters. Felt like my heart was vibrating. I felt my pulse and my heart was all over the place, fluttering, pausing, skipping and then pounding before I coughed and it calmed down. It terrified me. I've had these episodes before and I always seem to get them when I lie down quickly or lie in an awkward position.

I spoke to the dr today - not my normal dr, one I've not spoken to before and explained and he was so unhelpful including telling me that there are several arrithymias that can kill you...I actually feel more worried now. He said the 7 day holter monitor i had done in February showed normal sinus rhythm. I know when i was on that monitor though i had a funny episode and i recorded what I thought was the tail end of it. I know it wasn't my imagination as I felt my pulse at the time and it was irregular.

My question is - does anyone know how these event monitors work? I pressed the record button right after the fluttering because it was over pretty quickly.If I missed the episode will it still be recorded? I'm desperate to know what it was.

Also - can a run of ectopics make your pulse feel like it's fluttering all over the place? It was like "flutter, pause, flutter, flutter, pause" followed by a few fast beats and then normal.

I just want to know what these episodes are. I've had so many tests and cardiology have discharged me twice. I'm so terrified when they happen that it's ruining my life. I'm so worried I've got some dangerous arrhythmia that's not been picked up. I've always been used to the traditional skip followed by a thud but these are funny fluttery beats.

I've got really bad upper back tension that wraps around my chest became I'm so stressed. It feels muscular because it hurts when I stretch and turn but of course now im panicking it's due to my heart. I suffer with reflux too and feel like I'm full of acid at the moment as I've got a lumpy feeling in my throat too.

Just wondered if anyone has experienced similar or can help me?my anxiety and stress is bad at the moment but surely these funny sensations and irregular pulse cant all be down to this? I've got two young children and feel like I can't function through the worry right now.
    Last edited by Honeyskye; 28-05-20 at 10:52.

Thread Information