Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Debate - people with Anxiety are coping better with CV19 than the non-anxious

Debate - people with Anxiety are coping better with CV19 than the non-anxious

Healthy debate time.....

People with anxiety (not HA) are finding it easier to cope with Covid-19 than non-anxious people.

I am finding this statement completely true in my case.

I think it is because the anxious brain spends its time preparing itself for the worst possible senario, so then when one of those senarios crops up the anxious brain goes "HEY....I GOT THIS, BEEN PREPARING FOR THIS ALL MY LIFE, I KNOW HOW TO COPE"

I haven't been anxious at all over it all..... just getting on with things. whereas non anxious people i know are finding things difficult.

Please discuss

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Debate - people with Anxiety are coping better with CV19 than the non-anxious

I would say that most people with anxiety have significant difficulty living with uncertainty though? And Coronavirus is a complete unknown.

Also for those with OCD contamination issues it's a worst nightmare scenario.

I suppose a lot of anxious people will have their own particular areas of "fragility" on which CV will impinge and threaten and this is certainly the case with me.

Re: Debate - people with Anxiety are coping better with CV19 than the non-anxious

My youngest son who suffers with anxiety just told me the other day he is the calmest he's felt in years.

I asked him if he felt like saying to the rest of the planet.. welcome to my world.
    Last edited by NancyW; 09-05-20 at 15:39.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I would say that most people with anxiety have significant difficulty living with uncertainty though? And Coronavirus is a complete unknown.

I suppose a lot of anxious people will have their own particular areas of "fragility" on which CV will impinge and threaten and this is certainly the case with me.

My own issues are the media persistently ramming stuff down our throats about the possible 'worst-case scenarios' pertaining to this pandemic, such as even Aunty Beeb reiterating about a severe economic crisis looming here in the UK on Thursday, which they had already mentioned a couple of days earlier, plus all the speculation concerning the possible social fallouts to follow.

Don't get me wrong. I have no intention of being naïve and shying away from reality during all of this and playing down any possible economic threats, etc, but with many people's anxieties running riot and their mental health already up the creek do we really need to be repeatedly reminded about such things, and people hypothetically comparing what's to come with the 1930s, etc. It's like comparing apples with oranges. and it should be remembered that the world is a very different place now to what it was some 80-odd years ago. Also likening the present situation to the war is also unhelpful IMO.

I would have thought this is a HA sufferer's nightmare. Whilst I am not as extreme as some I have read about, I feel constantly under attack and if I could get away with staying in bed for two-three years, I would.

I would agree, although other things that surround the situation make me anxious like not having a garden bin collection, shortage of bread, TV smothered in coronavirus topics and adverts.
    And although my anxiety not too bad, depression is more apparent.
    But yes, generally I'm always waiting for the something bad to happen. Well it's here so the anticipatory is not.
    Last edited by Carnation; 09-05-20 at 18:36.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post

I couldn't agree more Pulisa, When this all started back in March, I was praising myself up for coping with the 'general anxiety' of it remarkably well. Using my little tips I have gathered over the years to cope with my anxiety. However, over the course of the last few weeks, my OCD regarding germs and contamination, which up until now had improved a lot, has gone into complete and utter overdrive !! Consequently, that has now impacted on my general anxiety, which is really annoying. It sure is a viscous circle. x

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I would agree, although other things that surround the situation make me anxious like not having a garden bin collection, shortage of bread, TV smothered in coronavirus topics and adverts.
    And although my anxiety not too bad, depress is more apparent.
    But yes, generally I'm always waiting for the something bad to happen. Well it's here so the anticipatory is not.
    I agree, just constant overkill and increasingly tedious, though no disrespect intended to those currently affected.

I'm actually with you, Emmz; I'm used to living my life in a highly anxious state, so it's been pretty much business as usual. I've spent a lot of my work time helping other people get used to living their lives online, and occasionally helping them through their very first panic attack.

Obviously the worry is there in the background, but if it wasn't the virus it'd be something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I agree, just constant overkill and increasingly tedious, though no disrespect intended to those currently affected.
    Having said that, TV was already bad enough before, with the news being smothered in endless headlines about Brexit, knife crime, terrorist threats, etc, and ironically found all things Coronavirus (especially in the beginning) a bit of respite from all of what I have just mentioned. But again, no disrespect to those adversely affected by those particular issues.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information