Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Debate - people with Anxiety are coping better with CV19 than the non-anxious

Re: Debate - people with Anxiety are coping better with CV19 than the non-anxious

That's an interesting point Pulisa. Anxiety sufferers like to have control, especially how they live their life.
    As an agoraphobic I find it difficult to take being told to stay in compared with choosing to stay in. To shop at a certain time and so on. Even though it is for the good of our safety, I get upset with routine change that is made for me.

Re: Debate - people with Anxiety are coping better with CV19 than the non-anxious

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    As an agoraphobic I find it difficult to take being told to stay in compared with choosing to stay in. To shop at a certain time and so on. Even though it is for the good of our safety, I get upset with routine change that is made for me.
    An awful lot of people hate being told what to do - for decades now we have had a "me, me, MEEEE!!!" culture. Too many people are just saying "I'll do what I want and YOU won't tell me otherwise!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    An awful lot of people hate being told what to do - for decades now we have had a "me, me, MEEEE!!!" culture. Too many people are just saying "I'll do what I want and YOU won't tell me otherwise!"
    Correct. And under both Tory and Labour govts.

Quote Originally Posted by venusbluejeans View Post
    Healthy debate time.....

People with anxiety (not HA) are finding it easier to cope with Covid-19 than non-anxious people.

I am finding this statement completely true in my case.
    Very interesting subject VBJ.

Thus far, reading through the thread, there have been some very astute and interesting comments, all of which one must taken into account. I mentioned in a previous post how sufferers are responding based on this very real and threatening situation compared to irrational and imaginary fears. The fact that other than this subject in Misc., the rest of the board is pretty quiet and many of the members, even serial posters, if they're not posting here, they're apparently finding ways to cope as they're not active.

Overall, while there are some as yourself that have been held captive by the dragon, put the work in and know how to fend him off, many do not, and it has affected them more severely as we see on these threads.

Then there's the subject of "non-sufferers". I put that in quotes because I believe everyone has anxiety to a degree. It's part of human nature. After all, isn't anxiety essentially a "fight or flight" response gone haywire? The difference is how severely it affects them and how they handle it. My only experience with real anxiety is what I call "scanxiety". I've said this here many times but being a survivor, my situation had a 50/50 chance of coming back within the first two years. So when it came scan time (every three months for the first two years), the "scanxiety" would kick in and manifest itself as irritability. For me personally, that's how this situation is affecting me. I'm at risk. I work in essential services and interact with people on a daily basis. These people range from those that follow the CDC recommendations to those that comment negatively because we're wearing masks and have sneeze guards on our desks. I find myself getting irritable and having to bite my tongue sometimes and when I get home, I need to change into comfy clothes and "decompress" for 15 minutes or so before I feel better.

There's a thread about what the long term effects of this crisis will be for those with mental illness. I believe that should include those that never experienced it before. I full expect mental illnesses like PTSD, OCD, depression, HA and many of the variations we see on the boards to escalate and affect millions.

Stay safe and as always...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

The private sector will make a fortune out of Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by venusbluejeans View Post
    People with anxiety (not HA) are finding it easier to cope with Covid-19 than non-anxious people.
    Not true. I'm not coping, at all.

Pamplemousse, I'm definitely not a me, me, me person. I've spent most of my life looking after other people and not putting myself first. So much that it led to a total breakdown for me. I was advised by doctors and therapists to start looking after myself which is hard to do when you don't have any self esteem.
    I thought this was a thread about how the lock down and virus has affected people and not a personal dig at other members?

Carnation, I'm right there with you. I've noticed certain users making prime use of the coronavirus to express their disdain for the rest of humanity, and it's a large part of why I'm posting less these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Pamplemousse, I'm definitely not a me, me, me person. I've spent most of my life looking after other people and not putting myself first. So much that it led to a total breakdown for me. I was advised by doctors and therapists to start looking after myself which is hard to do when you don't have any self esteem.
    I thought this was a thread about how the lock down and virus has affected people and not a personal dig at other members?
    I think your point was just misunderstood, Carnation x

I hope so Pulisa. x

Totally agree BlueIris. x

I've noticed far more anger in people since the lock down, which may be a sign they are not coping. IMO.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information