Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Debate - people with Anxiety are coping better with CV19 than the non-anxious

Re: Debate - people with Anxiety are coping better with CV19 than the non-anxious

That's good to hear pamplemousse.
    Yes, I did take it personally and got upset because you copied and pasted my name and comments, so felt it was directed back at me. If it was generally speaking on your behalf, there was no need to quote my name IMO.
    But you've said your bit and that's that, life goes on.

But generally it would be considerate if members consider what they write or comment about because it could affect people's feelings before it is posted, after all this is a Site with very delicate minds and people are struggling to cope.
    Such comments can tip someone over the edge.
    On that note I would like to add that 'people' cause me more anxiety than any situation and the Lock down has fuelled much anger in many that I have witnessed and been quite disgusted with.
    For instance an old lady in a queue who obviously had dementia had jumped the queue and a fit young healthy person who I knew, shouted at her, swore at her, and continued to show rage to everyone else in the queue. No one said anything for fear of fuelling the situation, but we will all remember this person's actions well after this lock down is over.
    We all struggle in different ways, but remember that people will remember and mark how you acted.
    That's all I will say on this as I'm sure Emmz wants to keep this thread on track and to the point of its title.

Re: Debate - people with Anxiety are coping better with CV19 than the non-anxious

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    That's good to hear pamplemousse.
    Yes, I did take it personally and got upset because you copied and pasted my name and comments, so felt it was directed back at me. If it was generally speaking on your behalf, there was no need to quote my name IMO.
    But you've said your bit and that's that, life goes on.

But generally it would be considerate if members consider what they write or comment about because it could affect people's feelings before it is posted, after all this is a Site with very delicate minds and people are struggling to cope.
    Such comments can tip someone over the edge.
    On that note I would like to add that 'people' cause me more anxiety than any situation and the Lock down has fuelled much anger in many that I have witnessed and been quite disgusted with.
    For instance an old lady in a queue who obviously had dementia had jumped the queue and a fit young healthy person who I knew, shouted at her, swore at her, and continued to show rage to everyone else in the queue. No one said anything for fear of fuelling the situation, but we will all remember this person's actions well after this lock down is over.
    We all struggle in different ways, but remember that people will remember and mark how you acted.
    That's all I will say on this as I'm sure Emmz wants to keep this thread on track and to the point of its title.
    That person who had a pop at the old lady jumping the queue probably already had a bit of a 'neanderthal' type of mentality and he/she would have no doubt acted out like that anyway, CV pandemic or not. Throughout history certain individuals have been known to behave and act irrationally during times of adversity, even if not directly attributed to the cause of the hardship itself. Basically certain sad cases the world over just happen to get kicks out of a good ruck whatever the event. Always have, probably always will.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    An awful lot of people hate being told what to do - for decades now we have had a "me, me, MEEEE!!!" culture. Too many people are just saying "I'll do what I want and YOU won't tell me otherwise!"
    I think this is born out of the anger and frustration that I'm hearing from many Brits about the political situation, Brexit etc, and how they view the impact it's having on their lives (either real or perceived). With this level of angst, many people don't trust the govt to have their best interests and the govt doesn't trust the people to do the right thing so there's going to be a sizable amount of belligerence to anything that's smacks of enforcement. There are similar patterns to this seen in the US among many Republican voters.

I was watching a programme about Denmark's response to lockdown and most interviewed said that they trusted their govt. to make the right decisions on their behalf. I could totally relate as that's the same response that we NZer's had to our lockdown. Even if people weren't Labour party supporters, they still believe that the govt. is acting in their best interests and doing the best for the country. Of course there are angry people in NZ too but when it came to the crunch they were more willing to take advice and do the right thing. I think this is what it's like to have pride in your country.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    I think this is born out of the anger and frustration that I'm hearing from many Brits about the political situation, Brexit etc, and how they view the impact it's having on their lives (either real or perceived). With this level of angst, many people don't trust the govt to have their best interests and the govt doesn't trust the people to do the right thing so there's going to be a sizable amount of belligerence to anything that's smacks of enforcement. There are similar patterns to this seen in the US among many Republican voters.

I was watching a programme about Denmark's response to lockdown and most interviewed said that they trusted their govt. to make the right decisions on their behalf. I could totally relate as that's the same response that we NZer's had to our lockdown. Even if people weren't Labour party supporters, they still believe that the govt. is acting in their best interests and doing the best for the country. Of course there are angry people in NZ too but when it came to the crunch they were more willing to take advice and do the right thing. I think this is what it's like to have pride in your country.
    I do think there has been a fair amount of political apathy here in the UK over the past ten years or so. I've wondered if some of those who ranted and raved about the antics of our Tory-led govts over the same time period were the ones caught napping when they were given the opportunity to vote for alternatives in 2015, 2017 and 2019 and instead obsessed over the slightest perceived shortcomings of the leaders of the foremost opposition parties?

And the typical 'they're all as bad as each other' perception, so just can't be bothered!!

I do agree with this in large part. I actually am a HA sufferer, but until this week - just because SO many stressful things have been building up - I've felt pretty good. My husband, who has never suffered with mental health problems, is having a horrible time. My anxiety was worst in the early days when we were still going to work and school, but since lockdown I've felt we have the ability to really control our small bubble. I think when lockdown starts easing I'll become more anxious. As a germaphobe to begin with, though, I do kind of love that everyone else is finally realizing the importance of washing hands and not hanging out in crowded places during flu season!

I do feel sorry for the amount of people that are now getting anxiety. In some ways I feel a bit better equipped to deal with it than they do. There are days when I have a handle on it and days when I don’t.
    Yesterday, after Boris’s speech was a bad day.

Hope you're feeling better today, Scass.

I've actually felt quite a lot of responsibility towards friends and acquaintances who aren't coping right now, purely because they're not necessarily used to the sort of feelings I've been living with for decades. I'm checking in on people a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Hope you're feeling better today, Scass.

I've actually felt quite a lot of responsibility towards friends and acquaintances who aren't coping right now, purely because they're not necessarily used to the sort of feelings I've been living with for decades. I'm checking in on people a lot.
    Thank you, I’m ok.

You’re that type of person though, you have lots of empathy. Make sure you don’t drain yourself x

Thanks, Scass, I'm trying my best. Things have been slipping out of control over the past couple of weeks, but I'm working on it and I'm starting to get back to my normal again now.

Good for you.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information