I think both of these phenomenon - the spooky deserted place that is normally busy, and the dark and scary fixtures/architecture - are common, because they are used for atmosphere in scary video games and movies.

I work in a school, and I've had many co-workers tell me they are creeped out by our building when it is empty in the evening. I even had a co-worker claim the place was haunted, but I never saw anything. It doesn't bother me at all, but then I used to work by myself in old buildings downtown, so I'm used to it. The only odd thing I've had happen was that once I heard someone bouncing a basketball in the gym, but when I looked to see who it was, there was no one there. Whoever it was left awfully quietly.

I totally understand what you mean about certain architecture being sort of menacing. And there was this big discussion online between people who were frightened as a child of those toilets that have the high water tanks up near the ceiling. I can't imagine potty training a small child with one of those!