Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Buildings/rooms with odd vibes

Re: Buildings/rooms with odd vibes

Graveyards are lovely during the day but at night they do scare me. I was fine until the latest Dracula remake (BBC) and since then I have my eyes peeled for undead children.

Every morning I walk my dog around the churchyard almost opposite us and as the mornings are getting darker I know I'll be getting twitchy soon. A big torch is in order!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Does anyone ever feel a bit uneasy whenever they enter a building or specific rooms within a given building (or house)? I don't really buy into the paranormal, etc, but sometimes I have been known to feel a little uncomfortable entering certain rooms for no apparent reason and even seemingly innocuous fixtures and fittings within the given room (especially toilets) have been known to give me the heebies (e.g. arrays of exposed water pipes) and even certain odours, etc. Also places that would normally be a hive of activity during the day but completely desolate of an evening (e.g, certain workplaces, schools, parts of hospitals, etc) tend to make me feel a bit creeped out.

Even the look of certain buildings/houses and their respective architecture have weird effects on me.
    One place I remember this happening to me was an old Tudor mansion that was located near where I lived. We went with the school and I remember feeling very odd vibes.

Graveyards are awesome. I walk around the graveyards here from time to time. It's peaceful. I did walk through in the dark the other week and it felt a but odd but that was just my anxiety that time. When I need to clear my head I go and sit in the corner of the graveyard. Nobody can see me or bother me.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I like being in churchyards too. They're very peaceful places. And I always say that it's the living who scare me, not those who are dead..

A few years ago I watched on YouTube a 'made-for-TV' film (Play For Today-style) from 1979 called 'Just A Boy's Game' that was centred mainly on Greenock, Scotland, and there was a scene on a rundown concrete-clad estate where one of the guys lived where that one guy said the line 'I'm going for fags', then followed by the sound of an upright Hoover reverberating through the lobby/communal area of the block of flats where he lived (non-high rise) before running down a sloped grassed area opposite the block of flats where he lived to the mobile shop van to buy his cigarettes.

The sound of the aforementioned vacuum cleaner reverberating through the hall of the block of flats was really creepy and instantly reminded me of the noises from the heating equipment at the respite unit I attended back in the early 90s, as it was in a similar tone and musical key.

Concrete-clad architecture in general has always creeped me out a bit.

I live in a clad house that was built for the miners. There's only 3 rows of clad houses in this entire area.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I live in a clad house that was built for the miners. There's only 3 rows of clad houses in this entire area.
    No prejudices intended to those who live in such properties though, just the architecture that's always given me the heebies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    No prejudices intended to those who live in such properties though, just the architecture that's always given me the heebies.
    Non taken, they are ugly. I'm going to watch that film today btw. Thanks for the suggestion, sounds cool.

☪️️

A support worker who used to work with me back in the late 90s lived in a house (then still with his parents) that was of the most oddball design and layout ever.

The house was private (not council) and was a dormer-type built around the late 60s-early 70s era, and in a fairly respectable area.

As far as the weirdest-ever layout was concerned, the front door (actually on the side but nearest the front-most corner of the property) opened straight into the kitchen, which you then walked straight through into the living room.

The second door straight off the living room opened straight into the downstairs bedroom and the third and final door out of the living room opened into a lobby/mini-hallway with the stairs to the left and another door that opened into the downstairs toilet, which not only doubled up as the utility room, but was also a walk-through room to the back door, which led straight out into the back garden. Also with said family's vacuum cleaner, lawnmower and ironing board also stored next to each other on the floor in the 'walk-through' downstairs toilet/utility room, which was the oddest of the oddball of rooms in said house.

I reckon the architect who designed the layout of said property must have had a bit of a screw loose.

I mean, who in the right mind would want to kip in a bedroom directly accessed from the living room and being kept awake by the TV, music, loud conversations, etc?

Plus it didn't feel right having a number 2 in their downstairs toilet, not only surrounded by washing machines, tumble dryers, ironing boards, vacuum cleaners, lawnmowers, power tools, and various other 'clutter', but also having to ensure both doors were fully locked.

I'm seriously not kidding nor exaggerating about this house, nor even prejudicing it's occupants, it was the weirdest and most illogical design and layout I've ever come across.

On a couple of occasions that I went there on winter evenings, it seemed to feel a tad creepy, especially when going to the toilet, but alive and happy in the middle of a beautiful summer's day.

Very very strange!

Lenco, I remember staying in a cottage with an odd upstairs layout. At the top of the stairs you turned into bedroom one with an ensuite. You walked through this bedroom to access the master bedroom. It was like it was designed for a cot outside the master.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Lenco, I remember staying in a cottage with an odd upstairs layout. At the top of the stairs you turned into bedroom one with an ensuite. You walked through this bedroom to access the master bedroom. It was like it was designed for a cot outside the master.
    Yes, very strange, though I would imagine the en-suite bathroom would have been a later modification/ addition, rather than original to the cottage.

I bet when that cottage was first built, it probably would have had just a single outside toilet as far as bathroom facilities went.

Going back to that oddly-laid-out house I mentioned above, the family I knew who lived in it at the time didn't seem to mind at all, otherwise they probably wouldn't have bought said house in the first place.

But as far as I'm concerned, toilets and electrical appliances, such as washing machines, tumble dryers, irons/ironing boards, vacuum cleaners, lawnmowers, electric drills, etc, are just totally incongruous. Added to that, having to walk through a room with a toilet in the corner to go out into the back garden (and to come back into the house) may be a bit off-putting for some visitors, especially if food and drinks may have to be carried through there.

I wonder if there's ever been any instances in this country where a toilet has been installed in a kitchen, despite totally contravening building regs (and being totally batsh1t crazy IMO)?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information