Thread: Sharp upper stomach and chest pain?

Sharp upper stomach and chest pain?

I've had problems the last few months with a sharp pain in the upper stomach area, right below my breastbone. The center of my chest sometimes also hurts at the same time. It only lasts for about a minute, and once it's gone I'm fine. It always seems to happen right before supper, never before any other meal. It either happens in the first few bites, or right before I start eating.

It first happened to me last summer when I was under a lot of stress, and then one more time in the fall when I was also under a lot of stress. In February, it started bothering me again, and now happens about once a month. I have had problems with acid reflux in the past, so when I went to see my GP in the fall, he suggested it was reflux or gas. When it started happening again this winter/spring, I called my gastroenterologist, and he said it could be acid reflux, but he now wants to do a endoscopy, which I've got scheduled for this Thursday.

Has anybody had these symptoms before?

Re: Sharp upper stomach and chest pain?

I suffer from reflux and I get similar sounding pains to you. They are very sharp but as you say not long lasting. Unfortunately anxiety causes acid reflux so it can be a viscous circle!

Thanks, Flygirl767. You're right, it is a vicious circle. I also have the problem that I can't take most of the acid reducers on the market because they interact with my other medications. The only ones I can take are all sold out, because there is a shortage now that ranitidine is off the market.

I had my endoscopy today, and it turns out I have an erosion in my esophagus and gastritis. I don't know anything more than that at this point, as I didn't get to talk to the doctor, just got a take away sheet with my diagnosis. The nurse from the doctor's office is supposed to call with more information tomorrow.

I had pretty much the same thing when I had an endoscopy. I used gaviscon.
    Glad you are ok x

Thanks, Scass. I got the call from the nurse this morning, and I also have a small hiatal hernia. They took four biopsies, which will take about two weeks to come back. I'm really worried about the biopsies.

Ah ok, that will explain the sharp pain. I was convinced I had one too.

I also had biopsies taken, it’s a worrying wait - but they’d have told you if they were concerned.

The biopsies are back already, and they just showed acid reflux, according to the nurse.

Communication at my gastroenterologist's office is terrible. The nurse asked me how I was feeling, and I said that I'm the same as I was before the test - this pain only happens me once every month or two. So she has me describe my symptoms all over again (I had already told the doctor all about my symptoms when I had my consultation appointment, and told the nurse again before for the endoscopy - it's like they never look at your chart) and then says she'll call me back.

She calls back a couple hours later, and says there's not much they can do for pain that is that short and only happens occasionally, but if it starts lasting longer, they will do a CT scan, or we could do my next colonoscopy a year early. I said, wait a minute, what about the esophagus erosion? Isn't that the source of the pain? Shouldn't we treat that? What about the gastritis? She had no idea. I asked if I could make an appointment to talk to the doctor about my results, because I had a lot of questions, and she asked what kind of questions I had. Um, the ones I just asked? She sounded very hesitant about getting an appointment just to discuss results. I finally told her I'd just get my records and get a second opinion.

I then called my GP's office and asked if I could talk to him about my results once he had them. I just saw him yesterday for a six month blood pressure check, so he knew all about my symptoms and pending endoscopy results. He called me back, and I explained the whole exchange with the nurse at the gastroenterology office, and even he said the staff there are hard to work with. My GP said that the erosion is the source of the pain I've described to him, and he prescribed a month of omeprazole and said to stick to a low acid diet. I'll check back in with him if I keep having problems after that.

Sorry to write a novel, but this was so frustrating today I had to vent.

That is frustrating! Glad your results are ok though. Hope the omeprazole helps.

Thread Information