Thread: massive panic attack :(

massive panic attack :(

hi everyone, i feel dissapointed and exhausted.

this morning, after i had gotten out of the shower i could feel a small twinge like feeling in my heart/chest. my muscles started to tense up and my anxiety started to rise. i tried not to pay any mind to it and carry on, but the feelings became more and more overwhelming and the thoughts started to spill. i went outside to calm myself down, trying to ride the waves as they came, and it worked until i tried to run and burn some of the adrenaline off. i came back inside and walked around the house for a little bit and then the lightheadedness/dizziness came on and i felt like i was going to black out, my heart literally RACING, faster than i remember it ever being during other panic episodes, there was a tightness around my ribcage muscles that was intense, it felt like my lungs were about to collapse/had already done so, there was a point where i literally couldnt breathe and i was basically gasping for air and hyperventilating, trying to get enough air into my lungs. i was scared to death that i was going to pass out. i was shaking like a leaf. it took a little while to slow my heart rate down and to finally calm down. im calm now, but exhausted. my muscles are sore and i feel like crap.

im going to make an appointment with a doctor tomorrow, hopefully. i've been doing so well and now i feel so drained. my brain just cant shake the feeling that this isnt anxiety and this could be something more sinister. it feels the same but some things are just a little different every time. the feeling is the same...

Re: massive panic attack :(

Funny how anxiety/panic attacks does that after we've been without panic attacks for a while isn't it? It seems like when they start up again, we get a few new symptoms that we don't recall having before with previous panic attacks, along with the usual common symptoms. But I wonder if those new symptoms were there all along and we just didn't pay them as much attention as we did with the usual symptoms that got most of our attention before?

But regardless of all that, right now though, it's hard to tell under current circumstances. I know others here might disagree with me, but you seeing a doctor might be the right call. Especially if you couldn't breath at all and were physically gasping for air.

ive seen a doctor before, they took blood tests and did lots of tests and said that i was okay. this was in january, which isnt that long ago

do you think there's something medically wrong with me? i could breathe but it was difficult, i shouldn't've said i literally couldnt breathe. it was just difficult to catch my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by lanerbanana View Post
    ive seen a doctor before, they took blood tests and did lots of tests and said that i was okay. this was in january, which isnt that long ago

do you think there's something medically wrong with me? i could breathe but it was difficult, i shouldn't've said i literally couldnt breathe. it was just difficult to catch my breath.
    I couldn't tell you that, Lanerbanana. But right now with coronavirus going around and lots of states opening back up, I wouldn't tell you to not call your doctor either because it affects people differently.

Then again - Also, you said you tried to run and burn some of the adrenaline, but you came back inside and walked around the house for a little bit and then lightheadedness/dizziness came on, and you felt like you was going to black out. I've done that myself many times after a panic attack, I mean went for a run or fast walk, but I never felt worse afterwards; not like the way you described. Because it usually helped convince me it was just all anxiety/panic attack beforehand, if I could get around and move like that without any bad physical symptoms. So I don't know, man. It's up to you.

ive barely been out of my house for the past few months, im really hoping i dont have it...
    ive been breathing fine since, and i havent really had any more symptoms...

You may not. But just be careful, man.

I've only had a handful of real panic attacks, but the last one I had was by far the worst and I called an ambulance as I really, truly thought I was dying. I collapsed, my tongue went numb and I really felt I couldn't breath. When the paramedics arrived, they instantly recognised it as panic. I still felt like I couldn't breath but even during this episode, they put an oxygen thing on my finger and it stayed at 99. So it was my mind perceiving that I couldn't breath. It was a horrendous experience and I'm still suffering from anxiety symptoms (which I'm worried is something else of course) 7 weeks later. The immediate after effects of the panic attack were very unpleasant and I still had waves of small panic for days afterwards but luckily my GP prescribed a low dose of valium. I really feel for you and can empathise 100%. I hope you're feeling better by now. Take care.

Anxiety attacks are the worst. I think they are even worse if it has been awhile. It is for me. I think when we have them all the time you learn to deal with them a little better. They are still scary but you kind of get used to the scary. I live with this low level of worry all the time but not panic or anxiety attack. Not sure it is even anxiety but just worry. That I am used to.
    Then there are those days where you freak out. That was me today. First attack in 4 years. It was not pretty. I kind of resorted into my old habits. I hate that. You can't run from yourself even though I wish I could run right out of my skin sometimes.
    Just remember- there is nothing to be disappointed about. Yes, it sucks and yes, it is most certainly exhausting. The fact that our brains just work a little harder than everyone else's is something we can't help. It is just the way we are made or were molded into through life experiences.
    Rest, I don't know if it helps but if so, do a relaxation CD. They always help me even if I have to force myself to do every stinking minute of them. They help some. Some days it just controls you and all you can do is ride the ride and hope to take a little edge off. Good luck to you!

Thread Information