Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choking

Choking

Hey everyone!

Im really at my wits end now - ive got such a strong fear of choking - its ruining my life, i find eating times a terrible struggle. I dread feeling hungry!

Does anyone suffer the same?

Re: Choking

Hi

If you check out the Common Symptoms section of the forum
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=7794 you will find quite a few posts regarding choking phobia, also scroll down to the very bottom of this page theres quite a few posts about it too.

Hope that helps

Andrea
    xxxxx

thank you so much!

Hi,
    I am in my 40,s and have had a choking phobia since childhood and it's awfull, the reason I have sort info on line is due to the programme about freaky eaters, I always think huh, you think youve got problems, I live on yogurts, soup, mash potatoe, any easy swallowing foods I can, at one time I lived on tom soup and icecream due to no lumps, I am slightly better due to books and mind over matter techniqes but still cannot eat normal, I would love to have a healthy salad, chicken korma, and be able to eat out at a restaurant or infront of people, and how many times do I get told "you can swallow tablets" I now reply, I am in my 40,s I think I know that I can't thanks. It is a comfort to know that I am not on my own, I have to take iron tablets and vitimins (chewable vitimin tabs and iron tha I have to chew, yuk, oh yeah, paracetomols are disgsting to chew) because I don't eat meat and cannot eat nut cutlets or similar to compensate.

You can choke on saliva or water but you cannot choke to death on liquids. Nevertheless, they perpetuate the same life-saving cough reflex. You can choke on a chicken or a fish bone but you cannot choke to death on them. To choke to death you would have to be deeply intoxicated to suppress the cough reflex and then swallow a piece of meat two inches by three inches to cover the entire larynx, One piece of popcorn or a normal bite sized mass will not do it. The two things your brain does not want to do is die or be embarrassed. Thus the fear of choking to death is a common phobia. All body systems are set on hair triggers. The trachea is a solid non-collapsible rigid tube 1 inch in diametre. It is protected by a dense array of sensory nerves that identify any foreign object approaching its opening. Intruding particles are dispersed with coughs so powerful they approach sonic speeds.

Thank you artistguy! I didn't know all that and it's very reassuring.

I would recommend " Freedom From Fear " by Dr Howard Liebgold and " Overcoming Anxiety " by Reneau Z Peurifoy which deal with cases of fear of choking and gives directions for long term recovery.

freedom of fear book -does this include info about choking phobias or is it a general read covering lots of different phobias???

thanks

hi might help nnot sure i have had this sensation for 6 years and when i am in panic attack it seems thousand times worse but have been assured that it is down to panic attacks but they have told me its because my head rules and i have to rule the head from tracy

hi tracy

its important to determine the difference between an anatomical defect that triggers anxieties and panics and pure anxieties triggering physical problems where no anatomical defect exists. i think i am 100% certain that i fit into the former category. how about yourself? if you think youve had it bad for 6 years, try the thick end of 25! eating in private (wherever possible) avoiding social events, restaurants etc. i swear one day once i'm sorted those of us on here with similar problems should have a big get together!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information