Page 16 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: America's 2nd Civil War

Re: America's 2nd Civil War

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Here you go Vee. A former teacher from the South Bronx:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBF_50Jjsg8
    I remember this guy! He used to be on HBO in the 90s!

Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    Awww Hurted ..it's kinda cute though! I can just imagine a child saying this.

Not everyone is cut from that cloth to be able to be a teacher. Respect to you for it AntsyVee.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using Tapatalk
    Thank you, Whome! It's so nice to hear. There are so many teacher bashers out there. Especially after this COVID break. I saw this one video some dude posted on YouTube talking about how he thinks he's a better teacher than his kid's teacher and how teaching his kids at home is easy. Yeah, well, teaching two kids at a time is easy, especially when you have the power to give consequences like taking away their TV privileges, grounding them or sending them to their room. I wanted to say to that dad, "Try teaching 38 at a time (the max allowed by law that all classes are filled to) in 50 minutes or less where 10 of them have learning disabilities, two are stoned, and another one is crying cause she broke up with her boyfriend." LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Thank you, Whome! It's so nice to hear. There are so many teacher bashers out there. Especially after this COVID break. I saw this one video some dude posted on YouTube talking about how he thinks he's a better teacher than his kid's teacher and how teaching his kids at home is easy. Yeah, well, teaching two kids at a time is easy, especially when you have the power to give consequences like taking away their TV privileges, grounding them or sending them to their room. I wanted to say to that dad, "Try teaching 38 at a time (the max allowed by law that all classes are filled to) in 50 minutes or less where 10 of them have learning disabilities, two are stoned, and another one is crying cause she broke up with her boyfriend." LOL
    Lol oh my gosh...no way could I handle a classroom of 30 kids. Not that I do not like kids but like u said, they have taken away the power to discipline and the kids sure seem to notice and push it.

I was a school nurse for a short time. I split my days between elementary and high school. The kids were sweet but I had been in a hospital environment for so long that it just wasn't my cup of tea so I went back to the hospital.

I wonder how long into the distancing this dad made that comment and if he still feels this way? The parents I have personally spoken to can't wait til they go back to you guys lol so it surprises me that anyone is bashing My sister said Lord I love him but I can't wait til he goes back to school."lol Seriously, you guys are so needed (and not just for a break as my sister was joking about).

One last thing, AntsyVee and I'll leave you alone to enjoy ur holiday weekend. I wanted to share this with u since u are a teacher.

Since I was raised in such a rural area we had several of what we called "country schools" in our county. We had an elementary and a high school in the county seat which were the larger schools. Here, most communities are named after the creeks that run through the county. (we have two rivers and many creeks). So for instance, the kids who lived in the Cedar Creek community had a small country school nearby called Cedar Creek School. This kept us from having to travel from the rural areas to the main school. Now keep in my mind this sounds like something from the really old days but I am only 42 lol. If I remember right, there were 4 of these country schools.

Anyway, my school was 1st-8th grade. There were 3 classrooms lol 1st-3rd was in one classroom, 4th-6th, then 7th and 8th in another. I think that the most students I remember was around 70 in the entire thing while I was there.

Our class was split up into rows Our teacher would assign something to the two other grades so they would busy while she taught to us and made our assignment. We would work on that assignment while she moved over to the other row (other grade) and did the same. I really think I learned so much my first and second grade years bc I could see and hear her teaching the material to the older grades and I learned that way.

We prayed out loud before meals, had bicycle day every year where our parents would bring our bicycles to school and the whole school just made a whole day of it! Lol

We even brushed our teeth in the bathrooms after meals We kept a tooth brush and tooth paste in our cubbies and the teacher would tell us to go brush our teeth then come back to class. It was just a really unique experience I guess bc we were so very small.

I LOVED this school. All of the little schools had to shut down after my 3rd grade year so I never made it out of the same classroom or from the same teacher during my time there lol I have wonderful memories of that place. After we all went to the bigger school in the 4th grade after we shut down, we had a bond all the way up through graduation.

Even after consolidating all the schools, my senior graduating class was still only 69 people.

Yep, I would have thought many parents now have a greater respect than ever for anyone who takes their kids for most of the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Terry, Terry Thomas is the one who stands out to me as the quintessential Brit.
    Before the Hugh Grant era he would have been what people see. Toff types.

Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    I just looked them up and found several clips of Pet and IT Crowd online so I'm looking forward to watching these.

I had forgotten about Billy Connelly and Brendan Gleason. I googled Billy Connelly and recognized him right off. It pulled up a stand up comedy skit called toblerone and since this is one of my favorites I had to watch to see what he had to say about it. I had a good laugh!

We are big Harry Potter fans. It took me a good while to figure out that Mad Eye Moody was also in Braveheart! I couldn't believe I didn't make the connection. Maybe it was because there were so many years between the two movies and he looked like he had lost some size between the two. I'm not sure but either way, he is also a good actor.

What an interesting thought on how we say "ye" and the possibility that it comes from Irish heritage. I enjoy listening to how they talk. It's very charming to me.

My significant other recently took a DNA test that I had bought him. The results came back as 77 percent Welsh, 16 percent Irish/Scottish, 7 per Norway. He loved this. I am going to order one soon too and I feel like mine will look alot of the same. I've been told my father's family was Welsh and that my mother's was Irish. We will see what else might have gotten mixed in there along the way. I've been told native American but there is no way to know this by the DNA kit at this time ...well the last that I checked anyway.

An early role for Brendan Gleason in Hollywood was Lake Placid, I think. He was good in that as the sheriff. He's a fair bit bigger in Braveheart than he later days. But with all that beard it's hard to see him!

Welsh, eh, boyo? My GF is Welsh on her mother's side. Native American sounds cool, I had a best mate years ago who married a woman over here who's father was Native American and it gave her striking good looks.

America's 2nd Civil War

Yes...Native Americans are very striking. They are beautiful people both the men and the women. I just want to touch that coal black, long, shiny hair lol I am fascinated by them. We have a Cherokee reservation maybe 3 1/2 hours from where I live. I would enjoy going.

I always laughed at Brendan Gleason's line in Braveheart when he said "I didn't think you were in the tent that long". I think I saw where his son also had a part in Harry Potter. I hope he does good in entertainment as well.

I forgot to mention Hugh Laurie. Have ever seen an episode of House? Great show. I think he broke records here for most watched or something like that. I'll have to look it up to be sure.
    Last edited by whome; 23-05-20 at 16:51.

Yes, I have heard from lots of parents who are sick of their kids and are ready for me to take them back LOL And I've heard from a lot of kids who are sick of their parents and want to get out of the house, even if it is school LOL

Whome, we have some of those little school houses up in Northern California that still operate like that. A lot of them service kids of migrant ed workers who come to pick crops up there in the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Yes, I have heard from lots of parents who are sick of their kids and are ready for me to take them back LOL And I've heard from a lot of kids who are sick of their parents and want to get out of the house, even if it is school LOL

Whome, we have some of those little school houses up in Northern California that still operate like that. A lot of them service kids of migrant ed workers who come to pick crops up there in the middle of nowhere.
    Ha! I haven't thought about it but yes I am sure this goes both ways

Really? I didn't know this still existed. That's really neat! It's a unique situation now days and I wish the kids and the teachers everywhere got the luxury of smaller classes. Well, in each grade anyway.

Page 16 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread Information