Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: America's 2nd Civil War

Re: America's 2nd Civil War

Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    Do they really find us annoying up north? Lol I've never had anyone complain. Anytime I've been up north or out west people have loved it. I've been approached several times about it and it's so funny to me. I think I sound perfectly normal and people just want me to repeat something so they can hear it again. The way I sound is amusing to them and the fact it is so amusing to them amuses me in return lol

I do know some people from up north can't understand us sometimes and I totally get that after I travel around and notice how different we do sound. Sometimes to me I think the way they talk takes too long bc we aren't used to enunciating everything. (Our lazy tongue as it's been described) lol

My dad had a woman say please just talk to me. I find your accent so relaxing. I think we sound more rounded off and not so blunted? Maybe that's why.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using Tapatalk

Maybe the annoyance with the Southern and Midwestern accents are a West Coast or California thing. I have a bit of a southern midwest accent because I spent some time back there in my formative years, and it usually only comes out when I'm very tired or have had too much to drink. Everyone makes fun of me and has told me on several occasions that it's annoying. Or maybe it's just me LOL I've also had friends from back East come to visit, and people have asked, "Does she talk like that all the time?"

See I think that the native West Coast people talk much faster than people from the Midwest and South. I know I have a much slower speech pattern than the Westies, and I tend to pause more in my speech. The Midwesterners definitely have more a slower drawl.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Maybe the annoyance with the Southern and Midwestern accents are a West Coast or California thing. I have a bit of a southern midwest accent because I spent some time back there in my formative years, and it usually only comes out when I'm very tired or have had too much to drink. Everyone makes fun of me and has told me on several occasions that it's annoying. Or maybe it's just me LOL I've also had friends from back East come to visit, and people have asked, "Does she talk like that all the time?"

See I think that the native West Coast people talk much faster than people from the Midwest and South. I know I have a much slower speech pattern than the Westies, and I tend to pause more in my speech. The Midwesterners definitely have more a slower drawl.
    I know what you mean about the accent getting heavier when you're tired or drinking I notice it more when I'm mad too for some reason. The filter must disappear at those times lol

I tried to enunciate more when I conducted meetings at work. Not to try to be someone I am not but bc unfortunately some hear a heavy accent from here and assume ur not as educated (my boyfriend always says "there's nothing slow about me but the way I talk" ) but if I didn't really concentrate or got in a hurry it would come through pretty strong. The strange thing is I worked in the next county over. About 30 minutes from where I was raised. You can tell a difference in the way we talk from just that distance. It's so strange. Their accent isnt quite as heavy as ours. They also liked to joke with me about being from "the woods" and that they're afraid to come through here even though we are so close in distance. It was all in jest and we had a good time ribbing each other about it.

Hope you're doing well AntsyVee. Have a good rest of your night

I've also had friends from back East come to visit, and people have asked, "Does she talk like that all the time?"
    Was it all the swearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    One British curse word that a lot of people think is a mild one is 'berk'. Until you realise it's rhyming slang - it's a shortened version of 'Berkeley Hunt'.

Best rivalries I can think of: Sunderland/Newcastle, Hull/Grimsby. Most amusing one is Peterborough and Northampton, who can't agree on the pronunciation of the river that links them (for the record, 'Nene' rhymes with 'spleen' in Peterborough, and rhymes with 'wren' in Northampton)
    Remember football in the last millennium? (now I sound so old the Hovis ad music should be playing ) Crazy times. But Rangers and Celtic are just on another level.

As for swear words I think git gets a lot of use around here. But at school some of watched Red Dwarf so our swear words extended to 'goit', 'smeghead' and 'simple minded gimboid'

Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    I know what you mean about the accent getting heavier when you're tired or drinking I notice it more when I'm mad too for some reason. The filter must disappear at those times lol

I tried to enunciate more when I conducted meetings at work. Not to try to be someone I am not but bc unfortunately some hear a heavy accent from here and assume ur not as educated (my boyfriend always says "there's nothing slow about me but the way I talk" ) but if I didn't really concentrate or got in a hurry it would come through pretty strong. The strange thing is I worked in the next county over. About 30 minutes from where I was raised. You can tell a difference in the way we talk from just that distance. It's so strange. Their accent isnt quite as heavy as ours. They also liked to joke with me about being from "the woods" and that they're afraid to come through here even though we are so close in distance. It was all in jest and we had a good time ribbing each other about it.

Hope you're doing well AntsyVee. Have a good rest of your night

LOL Yes, well that's why I try to make sure my accent doesn't come out because people do assume that you are uneducated.

I'm doing well! Hope you are too!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Was it all the swearing?
    Swearing is an art form, I'll have you know :P

You use your dialect in a lot of jokes, especially when you are reminiscing with your fellow countrymen about TV, usually. That’s when it takes me a minute to figure out what you’re saying. But once in awhile you stump me lol
    'Ay up, duck. (Or hello in a real language)

I never even notice using it in jokes. I'll have to go back and read some posts. Maybe I will be thinking whats this plonker on about?

A lot of the time the jokes are going to be a bit in-house due to things that have happened over here or in the media. I know I sometimes have that problem with US stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    'Ay up, duck. (Or hello in a real language)

I never even notice using it in jokes. I'll have to go back and read some posts. Maybe I will be thinking whats this plonker on about?

A lot of the time the jokes are going to be a bit in-house due to things that have happened over here or in the media. I know I sometimes have that problem with US stuff.
    It's fine, Terry. I'm just giving you a hard time. I can usually figure out what you're saying, but once in a while, you pull a fast one on me.

I think we Americans have it easy because so much of our TV and movies are watched worldwide.

Swearing is an art form, I'll have you know :P
    F#@king A!

You're getting better, Terry. I still have so much to teach you

Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information