Thread: ALS fears (Surprise, surprise..)

ALS fears (Surprise, surprise..)

Hello!
    Even though I rationally believe that the odds of me having ALS is miniscule, the Anxiety Demon that has possessed me (frequent visits through the years), has convinced me that I might have ALS.

My symptoms right now are:
    Legs feel heavy, weak, originating from the hips and down. (Strength and function normal though)
    Arms feel heavy at times, and weak, originating from the neck and shoulders. (Strength and function also normal)
    Slight spells of light dizziness.
    Episodes of my old friend "feelings of unreality" (suffered heavily from this back in 2006 when I had this 24/7 for a couple of weeks)
    Yawning a lot
    Sometimes feel like I need to take in more air/oxygen.

The heavy feeling in my legs make me fear ALS or MND. But the sane reasoning part of my mind makes me think this could be anxiety induced hyperventilation syndrome...

Any thoughts?

Re: ALS fears (Surprise, surprise..)

Quote Originally Posted by Mango2 View Post
    Hello!
    Even though I rationally believe that the odds of me having ALS is miniscule, the Anxiety Demon that has possessed me (frequent visits through the years), has convinced me that I might have ALS.

My symptoms right now are:
    Legs feel heavy, weak, originating from the hips and down. (Strength and function normal though)
    Arms feel heavy at times, and weak, originating from the neck and shoulders. (Strength and function also normal)
    Slight spells of light dizziness.
    Episodes of my old friend "feelings of unreality" (suffered heavily from this back in 2006 when I had this 24/7 for a couple of weeks)
    Yawning a lot
    Sometimes feel like I need to take in more air/oxygen.

The heavy feeling in my legs make me fear ALS or MND. But the sane reasoning part of my mind makes me think this could be anxiety induced hyperventilation syndrome...

Any thoughts?
    ALS is about true muscle weakness and muscle failure. "Strength and function normal." There's your answer

If I understand correctly dizziness, yawning, and hyperventilation do not fit.

You sound like you are describing generalized symptoms (all over). I'm no expert by any means, but from what I have read ALS would start in a specific area and not all over this way.

Please don't go down the ALS anxiety path. This took several months of my life away from me and my family a few years ago when I did that. Try your best to stay positive and remember these symptoms you're describing do not sound like ALS.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using Tapatalk

Yeah bro I read this and laughed - no offense cause I know the fear can be real and debilitating, but man you haven’t described anything remotely similar to ALS and I beg you not to go down that path because it is by far the worse fear a health anxious person can go through and is really hard to get out of as well. Don’t waste your life mate. ALS will make you a prisoner in your own body but fearing it will make you a prisoner in your own mind. It’s not worth it when it i such a rare disease

@Hijikata Haha! I laugh at it sometimes too, especially when talking to somebody else. My parents are pretty good at disarming my fear around it by throwing in a joke like "are you sure it isn't just a bad case of the piles?" or "maybe you're just constipated, eat more fiber".
    Thank you both for your replies anyhow :-)

@whome I'm leaning more towards that this might be some kind of panic symptom. The last couple of days I've been fearing diabetes more as, besides heavy limbs, I also feel strangely "shaky" even though I'm not visably shaking. I get attacks of fatigue. At the same time it doesn't really fit the symptoms of diabetes fully either, no thirst, no hunger, etc.
    It's also on a day-to-day basis, and I notice if I engage in some strenious exercise my symptoms are usually gone the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango2 View Post
    @Hijikata Haha! I laugh at it sometimes too, especially when talking to somebody else. My parents are pretty good at disarming my fear around it by throwing in a joke like "are you sure it isn't just a bad case of the piles?" or "maybe you're just constipated, eat more fiber".
    Thank you both for your replies anyhow :-)

@whome I'm leaning more towards that this might be some kind of panic symptom. The last couple of days I've been fearing diabetes more as, besides heavy limbs, I also feel strangely "shaky" even though I'm not visably shaking. I get attacks of fatigue. At the same time it doesn't really fit the symptoms of diabetes fully either, no thirst, no hunger, etc.
    It's also on a day-to-day basis, and I notice if I engage in some strenious exercise my symptoms are usually gone the next day.
    Hi Mango,

I'm glad you're realizing that this is not ALS. It could be something as simple as dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, or anxiety working it's magic and doing what it does best .

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using Tapatalk

Thread Information