Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Out of Lockdown ...

Re: New Zealand Out of Lockdown ...

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Lock the idiots up in their homes and throw away their door keys, I say!

The masses cannot be trusted and will seek to enjoy themselves at any given opportunity
    The Health Secretary has a few large indoor spaces gathering dust where they could be accommodated for a spot of re-education

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Yes Terry, it's the mixed messages from above, that have confused the populace and now I guess they're are just over it with the Summer approaching

It was still Summer here, but the messages were always very clear. The fiance and I were on holiday up north at Kerikeri (a popular spot) when we got the first message on TV. We'd only been there 2 days (of our 7) and decided to go home (back to Auckland) ... that was Mon and lockdown came into force Wed 11:59 pm. Anyone who was on the road after that, either had to be going to the supo or the chemist. Police were out on the motorways and there were helicopters around at night, so we all knew how serious it was. In saying that we only have 5 million people so it would have been much easier to enforce. I'm not gloating here, it's just the way it happened

Even the Australian PM nearly blew it, saying that people couldn't go to the hairdressers but could spend 30 mins at a beauty salon (or visa versa) WTF (mixed messages) which he then withdrew! Luckily some of the wiser Australian State Premiers took more of a hard line, went into lockdown earlier and closed their borders, Queensland is one such State.

Once the horse has bolted, it's so much harder to capture it again (oops one of those sayings again, too bad)
    With the sunbathing it feels like they just caved in. Every hot day saw articles showing people in mostly London parks. I sympathise with people in larger cities because it's not as easy to avoid crowded areas and I think the authorities could have worked harder.

Early on into the lockdown people started sneaking into Wales to holiday homes or with caravans. The police started putting up roadblocks. I think one of the Yorkshire forces did the same. The Scottish government were constantly talking about it.

We've had some stories about police abuse of powers, and everyone arrested under the new powers have been found to be arrested in error, but then we have confusion between top coppers. I don't really see how it's so complicated for them? And these scenes of beaches take hours to get that way with no police in sight yet we see other articles where they are moving a few people off a beach. Obviously set ups

Hi Terry

I'm sure there are a fair number of cops who say hey I'm not going into the crowd and put myself at risk. Then there are those cops who don't agree with locking up those who aren't locking down. They're in uncharted waters themselves. BTW there haven't been any actual laws passed on most of these lockdowns. Most of it's been done by fiat from on high. I was out walking yesterday and there were a lot of people roaming about many without masks. A cop just drove through and didn't bat an eye.

N.

Comes down to those mixed messages again, if the police say and do one thing, then later change it to another, there's the inconsistency and people get complacent. Not that they should be heavy handed (they don't carry guns or tasers) in NZ so there haven't been many incidences. It was all about reminding and educating rather than arresting.

Terry, we had some Iwi (Maori) who were locking down roads and patrolling their own areas and police were helping them. Great to see community effort

Today there is only one active case of Covid19 in NZ despite extensive community testing to look for more, but the testing continues. It is the seventh day with zero cases. We are in Alert Level 2 so it is unlikely we will drop to Level 1 until there have been 27-33 days pass without any cases. We can now attend functions with 100 people. We have a tracer app on our phones which can help health officials identify, trace, test and isolate any cases of Covid-19. The data collected is deleted after 1 month.

My partner (and the band) have a gig on tonight at a local hall for the rock and roll club, the first for many months
    Last edited by WiseMonkey; 29-05-20 at 03:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Hi Terry

I'm sure there are a fair number of cops who say hey I'm not going into the crowd and put myself at risk. Then there are those cops who don't agree with locking up those who aren't locking down. They're in uncharted waters themselves. BTW there haven't been any actual laws passed on most of these lockdowns. Most of it's been done by fiat from on high. I was out walking yesterday and there were a lot of people roaming about many without masks. A cop just drove through and didn't bat an eye.

N.
    Hi N,

It's irrelevant if the police disagree with the law but yes they may turn a blind eye. Just like how they may do nothing when we call them for many reasons and it will just reflect badly on them.

They are in uncharted waters with this one and so many mistakes have been made by the highest of their ranks. One senior copper got slapped down by the Home Secretary after he went into Stalin mode threatening to start searching supermarket trollies and setting up road blocks outside them.

It depends on the country but in our case these were laws passed through Parliament.

It just amazes me how we can follow the new rules yet they can't understand them with a whole legal framework briefing them.

Some of the ones in the news just show certain individual police officers as incompetent. The attitudes of some point more to a poor attitude.

With the beaches it's understandable they are concerned for their safety. But I'm talking about hundreds on them. They sat all day watching those cars and pedestrians travelling. They are used to reducing incoming traffic. But I'm blaming the rank, I'm blaming the management. The council, the mayor's, the chief constables, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Comes down to those mixed messages again, if the police say and do one thing, then later change it to another, there's the inconsistency and people get complacent. Not that they should be heavy handed (they don't carry guns or tasers) in NZ so there haven't been many incidences. It was all about reminding and educating rather than arresting.

Terry, we had some Iwi (Maori) who were locking down roads and patrolling their own areas and police were helping them. Great to see community effort
    Yes, can't blame them for trying to protect their communities.

We had an news article where one man did the same stopping moron sneaking in with his caravan.

6 active in QLD today.
    Schools in NSW and VIC Monday and a few have closed again already due to kids testing positive.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Did you all see this?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52843846

OMG, this made my day!

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Did you all see this?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52843846

OMG, this made my day!
    Yep saw it.
    Terry throwing his money around again

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information