Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Out of Lockdown ...

New Zealand Out of Lockdown ...

We came out of lockdown yesterday (Thursday) so it's business as usual, except for clubs and pubs who have to wait another ten days to open. Schools are back next Monday but parents can keep children at home for longer if they wish as there are educational resources online for one term (12 weeks).

Social distancing and hygiene measures are still happening and people cannot congregate in groups of anymore than 10, the exception is funerals (50 people).

The govt. also released it's new 'recovery budget' designed to get the country up and running. The main focus is on creating new jobs as unemployment continues to rise due to those who have lost their jobs during the Covid crisis, plus those who have returned from overseas. The govt. is borrowing lots of money to distribute so yes there will be lots of debt in the years to come!

This all coincides with our third day of zero confirmed cases

Re: New Zealand Out of Lockdown ...

We had 5 weeks of zero cases here in Central QLD and a new one that's been described by the govt as "concerning" popped up today.
    We ease up on restrictions tonight.
    Fingers crossed everyone does the right thing.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

UPDATE
    Turns out it's a nurse in an aged care facility.
    Here we go again.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

WM, do you have school aged kids? I’m interested to hear how school is going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill2 View Post
    UPDATE
    Turns out it's a nurse in an aged care facility.
    Here we go again.
    We have one probable case today, which is linked to an existing cluster. However, this person was identified through a follow up test, where they had had symptoms 2 months earlier and had tested negative! From today's Herald ... "The result is considered a 'weak positive' and the person, who has been in isolation through the lockdown period, is not considered infectious now."
    Health officials have previously identified instances of "weak positive" cases, which they say can occur some time after an individual's illness."

So this is residual dead RNA material and is not infectious (phew that's better)!! There are still 56 active Covid19 cases in NZ but they are in quarantine. We have recently had some NZers return from India so some of them are bound to have the virus too but also in enforced quarantine.

QLD are doing well (like NZ) and a few cases are bound to pop us as this virus has a long tail. You will be looking forward to coming out of lockdown soon

There are bound to be a few odd cases pop up, but as long as our countries borders are closed, this should be minimal. Testing has been ramped up too which will definitely help.

Stay safe neighbour

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    WM, do you have school aged kids? I’m interested to hear how school is going there.
    Hi, no my two are in their thirties but I am a relieving teacher so am in the know. School opened up after Alert Level 3, for those parents who had to work but from next Monday 18th, most children will be back at school. There will be social distancing where possible among the older children and extensive hygiene protocols. Some parents will choose not to send their children to school until therm 3 begins in July and the Minister of Health is happy with this because their are online resources for the pupils.

I'll know more next week, when I chat to some of my teacher friends. I'm not going back into schools until Term 3, it's a personal choice because I'm over sixty and also have CFS.

Yes, please keep me updated because while we are on summer vacation break now, we are supposed to start back in August, and we’re all trying to get ready for that. It would be nice to hear what works and What doesn’t. We’re even planning now for a possible virtual opening in case cases spike again.

Were you in that midnight queue for the hairdresser's, WM?

Great news but no country is out of the woods yet.NZ is as prepared as possible for a second wave, so it seems.

Teaching will be a real challenge in the future weeks and months but every respect to both you and Vee and I suppose you learn from each other's experiences of what works etc. Denmark is apparently leading the field in this respect.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Were you in that midnight queue for the hairdresser's, WM?

Great news but no country is out of the woods yet.NZ is as prepared as possible for a second wave, so it seems.

Teaching will be a real challenge in the future weeks and months but every respect to both you and Vee and I suppose you learn from each other's experiences of what works etc. Denmark is apparently leading the field in this respect.
    Yes that's true and the govt. will do a review in 2 weeks time, depending if any more new Covid cases arise. My youngest daughter is a high school teacher (physical education and health) so I'll hear from her too and see how things are going with the older ones. Will definitely take a look at the Denmark teaching model

In the UK the usual suspect sh1trags are calling for the govt and public to 'allow teachers to be heroes' and go back to work, with young children.

While we are still at peak infection rate.

Good for New Zealand. You are the model to look up to.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information