Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Out of Lockdown ...

Re: New Zealand Out of Lockdown ...

Yep over there and the States,bloody madness
    Our borders have been and still are closed (state and international).
    Schools are now opening in most states but with strict rules
    In NSW Wales pubs are opening but with only 10 customers load of BS.they should be shut,there is enough domestic violence during self isolation let alone drunken men coming home from a pub pissed ��
    I still think we are opening up places way too soon.
    I will say how we are very lucky too live where we do.

Yes you are but it's still a watch and wait situation. I'm all for being cautious but I'm an unpaid carer so don't have to worry about keeping a job and i have a very modest lifestyle. I can appreciate that others would think differently and would have different priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Yes you are but it's still a watch and wait situation. I'm all for being cautious but I'm an unpaid carer so don't have to worry about keeping a job and i have a very modest lifestyle. I can appreciate that others would think differently and would have different priorities.
    I am so happy you said this Pulisa. I have cried equally over people who have died from this virus and people who have lost their income and jobs over this. I cannot and will not begrudge anyone from feeling the desperation to return to work. In my company, we have had a few people who have had the virus and recovered, as well as someone's elderly parents, however, I have had far more employees who have been furloughed and even far more who are struggling so hard with not working, not interacting with co-workers, being in a different work environment, etc.

Thanks, P! I'm very worried about education. The kids learn best in-person. I work in an area where school is a safe place from the poverty and demands of home. This extended break has taken its toll on them and they haven't learned much.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    In the UK the usual suspect sh1trags are calling for the govt and public to 'allow teachers to be heroes' and go back to work, with young children.

While we are still at peak infection rate.

Good for New Zealand. You are the model to look up to.
    The Daily Fail I think Joe? Reading that paper, you get the impression that anyone still being cautious by wanting restrictions left in place is somehow 'holding the country back' and being negative.

Of course, let's lift all restrictions right now because CV will respect us more, viruses don't like it up 'em you see, bit of cold steel, empire and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by travelgirl77 View Post
    I am so happy you said this Pulisa. I have cried equally over people who have died from this virus and people who have lost their income and jobs over this. I cannot and will not begrudge anyone from feeling the desperation to return to work. In my company, we have had a few people who have had the virus and recovered, as well as someone's elderly parents, however, I have had far more employees who have been furloughed and even far more who are struggling so hard with not working, not interacting with co-workers, being in a different work environment, etc.
    I fully understand how important a job and a regular income are to people..and then you have to weigh that up against the menace of CV and it's a horrible dilemma. It's all very well for the comfortably off who can sit back from their jobs and enjoy leisure time but for those who have financial commitments it's devastating to both mental health and overall security. It must be heartbreaking for you, travelgirl..

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Thanks, P! I'm very worried about education. The kids learn best in-person. I work in an area where school is a safe place from the poverty and demands of home. This extended break has taken its toll on them and they haven't learned much.
    These poor children are victims of Covid from a different angle. I do hope that you are able to offer them a safe and on-site education as soon as is feasibly possible. They are lucky to have such a caring and empathetic educator as yourself. They must really miss you and the safe routine of school in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Yep over there and the States,bloody madness
    Our borders have been and still are closed (state and international).
    Schools are now opening in most states but with strict rules
    In NSW Wales pubs are opening but with only 10 customers load of BS.they should be shut,there is enough domestic violence during self isolation let alone drunken men coming home from a pub pissed ��
    I still think we are opening up places way too soon.
    I will say how we are very lucky too live where we do.
    Same here, border is closed and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. Domestic flights have just resumed, after 7 weeks of being grounded enabling people to travel around the country again.
    I know our PM'S are talking about a Trans Tasman Travel Bubble (that tongue twister again lol), but all of Aus would have to get their numbers down and cases contained before that would happen. Otherwise they'd be in for 2 weeks quarantine when they arrived in NZ. Queensland has about the same population as NZ and mainly zero Covid cases so maybe travel to and from there could happen first ... our ski season is now open Ms L .

Mostly NZers are being encouraged to take holidays within the country to get tourism back up and running. Tourism is a big part of our economy so had taken a huge dive down. Queenstown (South Island NZ) gets 80% of its revenue from tourism so they're in a real slump!

I know about the pub mentality in parts of Aus (like it is in some rural parts of NZ), not pleasant. By and large in most other areas couples or families go to the pub for drinks and dinner so it's more user friendly. I remember when we first came to NZ in 1964 NZ still had 'the 6 o'clock swill' where men would head to the pub from work and get completely tanked then the pubs closed at 6 pm. Not my Dad though, my mother would have had his guts for garters.

We're well into Autumn here and the temperatures are still mild (around 20C) during the day in Auckland. The dams and rivers are at an all time low up here so water restrictions are now in place due to unusually low rainfall.
    Yes, extremely lucky to live where we live.

I reckon it's all too soon too especially with the new outbreak in Rocky.
    It turns out the infected nurse had been all over the place before she tested positive.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill2 View Post
    I reckon it's all too soon too especially with the new outbreak in Rocky.
    It turns out the infected nurse had been all over the place before she tested positive.
    Oh no, not good, lets hope she hasn't infected anyone else! Strange that no one else except her has tested positive in the 5 weeks you've had of zero Covid cases?

Zero new cases here today and only 49 active cases (all in quarantine), 3 people in hospital but none in ICU. 96% of all cases have now recovered. Lots more testing being done up and down the country.

Stay safe

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information