Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Out of Lockdown ...

Re: New Zealand Out of Lockdown ...

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    What...and replace Everton with Aussie Rules?!!!
    Hmm I think that might be an extra reason to go Pulisa?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I know it's Sunday, but both our CV deaths and confirmed cases announced today are the lowest since our lockdown first started.

However, I'm kind of dreading what the stats may be end up being over the next couple of weeks following the BLM demos around the country. Three months' worth of public co-operation and patience from the vast majority possibly all down the toilet, even though I agree with the principle of the BLM demos.
    Seconded Lencoboy. While I too agree with the protests, Covid really isn't going to care who it infects, black or white. And cases WILL go up after this. What a mess this world is right now...

Yes, they're encouraging all protesters here to wear mask, and most that I've seen are...but they still take them off to eat or drink. And they aren't 6 ft apart.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Yes, they're encouraging all protesters here to wear mask, and most that I've seen are...but they still take them off to eat or drink. And they aren't 6 ft apart.
    Well some of them might not be wearing them other than to mask their faces

That's true too, Terry. But all of the protests since last weekend have been very peaceful (in LA and Orange counties), except for yesterday's where the counter-protest groups showed up.

Not the alt right bunch? That's all you need.

It's mostly peaceful here. It's a very emotive issue so I think we always have to allow for some very aggrieved people, it's not like demonstrating because of lockdown or some poor government decision. Many of them have been through a lot.

So a few spillovers are good in my opinion as it could be so much worse. Even when it was kicking off in one here there were protesters trying to stop the hotheads. That's good to see as we are reminded that most don't view it as opportunity to fight with the police and damage property.

Peaceful?
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...dd54b5edf49f02

You won't be able to read the article but the pic should sum it up.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I couldn't see the pic either. What's it say, Phil?

COP SOAKED IN BLOOD AS UK TURNS INTO CHAOS

Boris Johnson has denounced the “thuggery” of protesters who turned Britain’s streets into chaos for a second day, with bloodied police officers targeted with bottles.
    Winston Churchill’s statue was defaced and a lone protester tried to set the Union Jack on fire at The Cenotaph, a major war memorial in London.
    In Bristol there were scenes reminiscent of Saddam Hussein’s statue being torn down in Iraq, when the figure of Edward Colston, a 17th century slave trader was thrown into the harbour.

Protesters throw a statue of slave trader Edward Colston into Bristol harbour during a Black Lives Matter protest rally, in Bristol, England. Picture: APProtesters also closed major roads across the UK as the Black Lives Matter movement, sparked by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis continued.

A Police officer receives medical attention after Police clashed with demonstrators in Whitehall during a Black Lives Matter protest in London. Picture: ReutersHowever, some video footage on social media showed a female protester telling people to stop throwing objects at police.
    Mr Johnson said the anti-racism demonstrations had been “subverted by thuggery”.
    “People have a right to protest peacefully and while observing social distancing but they have no right to attack the police,” he said.
    “These demonstrations have been subverted by thuggery - and they are a betrayal of the cause they purport to serve.
    “Those responsible will be held to account.”
    Police were chased down the streets near Parliament Square and Downing Street, with some officers injured and bloodied in the attacks.
    A police officer fell off her horse on the weekend in earlier violent protests.
    Churchill’s statue in London was defaced for a second day, with protesters spraying the words “was a racist” under the name of the man regarded as a war hero in Britain.
    Neil O’Brien, a Conservative MP, tweeted a picture of the graffiti, saying: “Wait until they find out about the other guy.”

Protesters pulling down a statue of slave trader Edward Colston in Bristol, south west England. pICXTURE: afp VIA @WILLWANTWRITES

STORYFUL0:56
    Black Lives Matter Demonstrators Tear Down Statue of Edward Colston in Bristol

Protesters in Bristol, England, cheered as a statue of 17th century slave trader Edward Colston was torn down on June 7. Video shows the Colston monument being torn down from ...

The statue of Colston, erected in 1895, has been a target for protesters before, with some angry about Bristol’s links to the man who developed the town but also shipped slaves to America.
    However, Home Secretary Priti Patel has said the toppling of the statue was “utterly disgraceful”.
    “The acts of public disorder that actually have now become a distraction from the cause in which people are actually protesting about and trying to empathise and sympathise with,” she said.
    “It’s right actually the police follow up on that and make sure that justice is undertaken with those individuals who are responsible for such disorderly and lawless behaviour.”
    Marvin Rees, the mayor of Bristol, supported the protesters despite the vandalism and the coronavirus risks.
    “Thank you to everyone who took part peacefully and respected the need to protect their communities as the Covid-19 pandemic continues,” he said.
    “Let’s make the legacy of today about the future of our city, tackling racism and inequality. I call on everyone to challenge racism and inequality in every corner of our city and wherever we see it.”

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I don't like BoJo but he's right, it is thuggery and is no longer about the George Floyd/Black Lives Matter, it's morphed into all their other grievances.

ps. We've dropped to Level 1 and zero active cases, so life as usual but boundaries still closed (of course). Now waiting for Aussie to drop in cases then TransTasman Bubble travel can begin

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information