Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Out of Lockdown ...

Re: New Zealand Out of Lockdown ...

I had a good room with en-suit on the Ocean Diamond the food was ok but around 15 of us had gastro w e never found out by anyone the cause from the company.
    I think that ship was one that couldn’t dock in South America due to Covid

Yeah, I had some friends get stuck on one of those Carnival cruise ships a few years ago that got norovirus. Not the ideal way to spend a honeymoon.

Well, I haven't been to NZ yet. I've been to Australia. I will say that when visiting Australia, there seemed to be as much racial tension there as there is here in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Well, I haven't been to NZ yet. I've been to Australia. I will say that when visiting Australia, there seemed to be as much racial tension there as there is here in the US.
    I had a couple of long stays (two months at a time) back in the 'noughties' - once in NSW, once in VIC. To say there was a considerable element of racism from the White European settlers was quite the understatement, especially towards the indigenous and Asian peoples. I couldn't say what it's like now.

It's nothing like that in QLD.
    It still exists but on a much lesser scale.
    I was surprised at the difference when I moved here from NSW

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Yeah, I had some friends get stuck on one of those Carnival cruise ships a few years ago that got norovirus. Not the ideal way to spend a honeymoon.

I'd agree and that's because both countries have never truly confronted their racial issues, and tried to right the wrongs that happened at the beginning of colonisation of these countries. The US with the treatment of their native people and with the African slave trade. Australian treatment of their Aboriginal peoples was horrific and later children were taken from their mothers to be raised in institutions or adopted by 'white families'. They were called the Lost Generation. Australian govts. had a 'Keep Australia White' policy up until the late 1960's.

NZ has some racial issues although we are very multicultural in the main cities. Over the years various govts have given back large chucks of public land to local iwi (Maori tribes) that were confiscated under the Treaty of Waitangi, (which was meant to protect their land but was defunct). Financial reparation for seized land is an ongoing process. We have a large Pacific Island population and a larger Asian population (mainly Chinese who have settled here). From time to time there are racial flare-ups between Islander and Asian peoples.

I hope you get to NZ sometime in the future, you won't be disappointed
    Last edited by WiseMonkey; 19-05-20 at 11:41.

Yeah, NZ is on my place to travel if I can take the plane ride. I'm very claustrophobic, and that's a long time for me to be cooped up in a cylinder LOL

Hi Vee I have been to the US and Aus is nothing like Strait outa Compton.
    Australians have problems with Muslims entering their shores illegally,they are put in detention on remote islands and forgotten about.
    Asians were back in the 70’s on the hit list fleeing Vietnam to a better life the treatment was the same.
    The only difference between your country and mine is No Salma Alabama.We have our nut jobs like in all countries but nothing like the crazies at the moment who believe and follow Potus like he is a God.
    Phill racism is alive and well in the North of the state.
    NSW is bad for it but nothing like up here.
    I witness it at work,it’s bloody awful

Yeah, at the time when I went to the Aus, the racism in the US was very covert. Unless you were in some more isolated places in the country, you didn't really notice it. Now with POTUS, these crazy white nationalists and supremacists think that they have a green like to be overtly racist. It's nuts.

Yeah, at the time when I went to the Aus, the racism in the US was very covert. Unless you were in some more isolated places in the country, you didn't really notice it. Now with POTUS, these crazy white nationalists and supremacists think that they have a green like to be overtly racist. It's nuts.
    We had the same after the EU referendum but if it's still an issue the media seem to have lost interest. The lid has to be slammed on these idiots. People may vote the same way but they won't want to be associated with racists like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Hi Vee I have been to the US and Aus is nothing like Strait outa Compton.
    Australians have problems with Muslims entering their shores illegally,they are put in detention on remote islands and forgotten about.
    Asians were back in the 70’s on the hit list fleeing Vietnam to a better life the treatment was the same.
    The only difference between your country and mine is No Salma Alabama.We have our nut jobs like in all countries but nothing like the crazies at the moment who believe and follow Potus like he is a God.
    Phill racism is alive and well in the North of the state.
    NSW is bad for it but nothing like up here.
    I witness it at work,it’s bloody awful
    The farmers and farming communities are the worse over here, they hold most of the money and they have racist views. My partners sisters husband is a wealthy farmer in the South Island and he and I always clash. It's mainly pakeha (white) down there and I teach in several multicultural schools in Auckland!

Forth day of zero cases
    Last edited by WiseMonkey; 21-05-20 at 03:50.

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information