Thread: Increased RHR

Increased RHR

Hi all, hope you’re all keeping well.

Just wondering if anyone else has had an increased resting heart rate since starting Venlafaxine?

Re: Increased RHR

Hello Helen,
    I have been on Ven for about 10mths now and one of the first things I noticed was a increase in RHR.
    I wear a watch that keeps a record of my HR and the increase started about a week after starting Ven but has been stable since, still up but nothing to worry about.
    Hope that helps

Re: Increased RHR

Quote Originally Posted by Helenmelon View Post
    Hi all, hope you’re all keeping well.

Just wondering if anyone else has had an increased resting heart rate since starting Venlafaxine?
    This is fairly common with serotonergic ADs. Serotonin isn't just a brain neurotransmitter, it has many roles in the body including in mediating blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation and blood coagulation. SSRIs, SNRIs and some TCAs tend to dilate blood vessels and 'thin' the blood both of which may trigger a small increase in heart rate. As long as you're in the normal adult range of 60-100 bpm there's probably nothing to worry about (some cardiologists are now suggesting an upper limit of 80-90 bpm is better). The anti coagulant effect may reduce the risk of heart attack and ischaemic (clotting) stroke, though it may slightly increase that of the much less common haemorrhagic stroke.

Thread Information