Thread: Surgery during COVID

Surgery during COVID

Hi friends,

Has anyone had (or is anyone planning to have) surgery during the pandemic? I was set to have a hysterectomy for my giant, painful fibroids on May 13, but ultimately moved it up to July 8 because of COVID. I was hoping by then things would have settled down and my mom would be able to come down and help out during my recovery, etc... But, the closer it gets the more it's seeming like she probably won't want to come stay here and I probably won't be able to have anyone come with me to the hospital.

I will need to schedule my pre-op tests for sometime after June 8 and I also feel worried about going to doctors offices and such. We haven't left our house except to pick up groceries curbside since March 11.

I was already very nervous about this surgery because it will be a major procedure - a large vertical incision from my belly button down - that will likely required a few days in the hospital after and then at least 6 weeks of recovery. With everything going on, my "what ifs" are through the roof. I have a 6 year old who I will probably end up pulling from school to homeschool in the fall and I can't shake the horrible sense of impending doom that I'll die during or after surgery and leave her and my husband alone to navigate the next year or so of this pandemic. My thoughts are really tumbling out of control. I really, really need this surgery for my health and my quality of life, but I'm so scared. I then worry that putting it off from the summer means waiting another year since COVID will probably get bad again in the fall/winter.

Re: Surgery during COVID

I can't speak for the US, but in the UK Covid-19 wards are physically segregated and self-contained so the chances of cross-contamination I'd have thought are next to nil.

What state do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I can't speak for the US, but in the UK Covid-19 wards are physically segregated and self-contained so the chances of cross-contamination I'd have thought are next to nil.

What state do you live in?
    I'm in Maryland, where things have been going pretty well because we have a very competent governor.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    I'm in Maryland, where things have been going pretty well because we have a very competent governor.
    In which case I would elect to have the surgery.

I was told we have two local hospitals with zero cases by a medic recently. So you may not even have any.

It's a really important surgery for you, Erin. I think it's worth getting some reassurance on this from your consultant, something I bet they are being asked all the time, but consider your risk factors. If you are in a non risk group, and if you were it would have to be emergency treatment to even have them in right now I would have thought, how much should it even be considered?

Don't let anxiety twist it. Hospitals are always protecting patients from bugs and we don't hear about it.

I hope you find a solution because from what you have explained across various posts it doesn't sound much fun putting up with this. Your quality of life is hampered. Will you be able to do more and perform better in both family life and your studies if this is resolved?

Terry has said it far more eloquently than I can. You should inform the hospital you wish to go ahead and tell your Mom to pack a few clothes for a stay with you Plus she gets to visit Junior!

I've just looked at the stats for MD on your state website at https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/ - given most states in the US are bigger than the UK itself, we've got counties and regions that are comparable. If this surgery will improve your quality of life - go for it
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 16-05-20 at 21:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrogoewey View Post
    Your post made me think about what I'd do if I were you. I think I'd have agreed to the operation anyway, but I'd have done a long check on the conditions of my future stay in the ward
    While I don't mean to sound funny, is this issue as relevant in the same way now, given the last post on this thread was in May 2020?

Spammer I think so will ban

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Spammer I think so will ban
    Really?

Mind you, it did come across as a little odd as I already pointed out that prior to today this thread had its last post in May 2020 (at the height of the first wave of the pandemic), but (for better or worse) Covid in general is barely being discussed at all now, neither in the national news headlines nor on here, plus I've noticed most things seem to be more or less back to normal again now.

Plus I'm not sure what the situation is in UK hospitals now either compared to May 2020 (closer to the 2019 norms I guess)?

Thread Information