Thread: Does anyone else experience this?

Does anyone else experience this?

Hi! My health anxiety has been at a high recently, and it seems as though I find some new symptom to worry about every week

I've been having chronic bloating problems for almost three months now, but they're improving. Had several blood tests for liver function, diabetes, thyroid, celiac, iron malabsorption, etc., as well as a sigmoidoscopy, and all came back normal, so probably IBS.

A couple days ago I randomly pushed down right beneath my lower ribs on the left side and felt a soft small mass, I wouldn't call it a lump. I could push it in, but then it would "pop" back out again. No pain or pressure. I freaked out and felt for a similar mass on the right side, and there was one, which made me feel a bit better, but the left one is easier to locate. Sometimes when I push on the area (either side), I can't feel the mass, as if it has been pushed underneath my rib cage, but sometimes it is there. It's not visible externally . Also, I recently had two doctors palpitate my abdominal area, and they felt nothing out of the ordinary. Could this be my diaphragm or a ligament or something? Cartilage? HA is at a high right now...

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thank you!!

Re: Does anyone else experience this?

Well I guess I'll answer my own question...if anyone else ever does experience this, maybe it will help them out.

I went to the doctor, and she said that this "lump" is nothing but a floating rib that can be pushed in and out because it's attached to the rib cage by cartilage. I asked why I couldn't feel anything similar on my right side, and she said that it is there, but much harder to feel simply because there are more organs on that side, including the liver, which is large. I felt like an idiot as I was convinced of having a hiatus hernia, but it's just a floating rib. Maybe someday I will accept that there is nothing wrong with me and stop harassing the doctor.

Glad u got it sorted
    Last edited by nomorepanic; 31-10-07 at 17:37.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi there,

Im glad that your mind has been put to rest , I did read your post but couldn't reply as I wasn't too sure myself. Don't be embarrassed about going to the doctor we've all done it and felt stupid or silly when we've been told tht everything is as it should be , i know i have, its just this HA that sends us insane .

Take care xx

Thread Information