Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Changes

Re: Forum Changes

Looks nice on my laptop. But looking at it using a mobile in full forum mode it messes it up.

Correct if I am wrong, but I would have thought being accessible is more important

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Perhaps a silly question but is there a reason people are using the desktop on mobile devices? The desktop is not designed for mobiles and will be considerably slower

Thanks

Alex

P.S May not reply until tomorrow now as have some work to do :-(
    I always us the desktop version on my mobile - I just prefer the layout of it, find it easy to navigate.
    I haven't had any issues with it being slower either.
    Not so sure how I feel about the new layout on my mobile as the new feature takes up nearly half the screen - that's just my opinion though

Alex is offline Administrator/Developer/Hamster/Chief Lisa Basher ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Correct if I am wrong, but I would have thought being accessible is more important
    It is 100% thats why I created a whole mobile theme for mobile devices.

I'll have a think about what can be done to reduce its impact when people use the desktop on a mobile

Alex

Whenever I'm doing UX design I always ask "What problem does x feature solve?". Generally most people can find the new threads, or forums of interest. It may have improvements for SEO though. Maybe the "Most Popular Threads". That's be interesting. Or nothing at all. It does kind of crap up the available space for typing etc.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    It is 100% thats why I created a whole mobile theme for mobile devices.

I'll have a think about what can be done to reduce its impact when people use the desktop on a mobile

Alex
    Responsive design can solve this problem. That way the forum will look great on any device or screen size. I often shrink my browser screens when I have other apps open.

With responsive design you'd develop a vBulletin theme from scratch. You develop the theme so that it's default design is mobile. Make sure the content is in the right place. Use heatmaps to improve this over time. But, your CSS is mobile first.

Then, you make the browser window wider. When content starts to look out of place, you modify the element/s with a media query. And you repeat until you've got it looking great on desktop. And like magic the website works on all browsers and devices. This also has the added bonus that you're working from a "content first" approach too, where by the design is built around the content instead of fitting content into a design. If that makes sense?

I do this ALOT. If you would like some help in making over NMP I would love to offer my services I ensure my designs meet Government accessibility guidelines too.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Whenever I'm doing UX design I always ask "What problem does x feature solve?". Generally most people can find the new threads, or forums of interest. It may have improvements for SEO though. Maybe the "Most Popular Threads". That's be interesting. Or nothing at all. It does kind of crap up the available space for typing etc.
    sorry thick dumbo here

whats SEO?
    Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
    Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
    Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)

Quote Originally Posted by whispershadow View Post
    sorry thick dumbo here

whats SEO?
    You're not thick Most people don't know what SEO is, and have little reason to need to. It's an area within the online marketing industry.

Search Engine Optimization. The idea is to have content from this forum rank higher in Google than other forums/websites. This means when people search for x,y,z NMP should be infront of all the other competition.

To aid with this you can ensure that links to certain pages appear on every page on the site - like the sidebar NMP introduced. I don't think admin's intent was to improve SEO, but if they changed it to display most popular threads then Google would boost the search position for those threads on NMP for related queries.

So when somebody searches "Help having a panic attack" (pretend that's a popular thread here that is on the sidebar) ... Google is more likely to show NMP first when somebody types "help im having a panic attack".

Having popular threads in the sidebar, that appears on every page, will cause google to think they're important pages. Thus, Google gives you more "link juice", or favoritism, for those pages.

If that makes sense. The idea is to drive more traffic a website. That's a basic brief overview of it.
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 17-05-20 at 23:14.

☪️️

Thank you Alex, you are appreciated for all the work you put in, I just wanted to be honest. x

Alex is offline Administrator/Developer/Hamster/Chief Lisa Basher ;-)

I have allowed it to be collapsed until I can hide it on desktop

@whispersshadow - Its not as simple as building a responsive design. The issue with vb and responsive is the number of templates and updates. The old forum had a totally custom theme and it was a complete nightmare everytime anything changed or we wanted to add a plugin. The best option is to switch it all to a forum that supports responsive design but thats a massive job :-(

I built the mobile theme to support mobile devices but it seems people are still using the desktop theme on their mobiles, thats not a problem and it will be easy to remove the sidebar on mobile when I get some spare time.

Thanks

Alex

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information