Thread: Early Menopause? Please help

Early Menopause? Please help

Hi. I’m sick with worry. I’m 43 years old and am completely confused as to what’s going on with me. I’ve had erratic, painful periods all my life, a good few years ago a GP mentioned peri menopause and I googled it and feel like I could have had a tonne of the symptoms and convinced myself I had it. Last October I got a blood test which showed some hormone level was elevated but still don’t know what this means. I’ve just found out from my late mother’s friend that she thinks my mum was 44 when she went through full blown menopause. Unfortunately I googled this and it makes for terrifying reading. It’s classed as early menopause (before age 45) and endless articles state early menopause = shortened lifespan. If I’m still getting my periods now at 43 and a half what does that mean for me? If I never got another period after the one I’ve just finished at what age would I be classed as having the menopause? Is it 365 days from my last period i.e. in my case would it mean I’d be 44 and a half? If 45 is the magic age whereby I’m out of the danger zone does being 44 and a half mean I’m still in that danger zone of an early death? My mum passed away in her late 60’s but my maternal grandmother and great aunt were both in their nineties. Does that make a difference? I know I need to talk to my GP but can’t currently get hold of mine other than for immediate emergencies which they don’t class this as even though my anxiety level is through the roof and I am sick with fear.

Re: Early Menopause? Please help

Apparently, early menopause is linked to higher rates of type 2 diabetes later in life. This is posited to be a socioeconomic effect (not sure how) and the link is tenuous at best.

Even if it is true, the difference in lifespan seems to be a maximum of 4 years.

If you take care with your diet, as everyone should, you're much less likely to get diabetes.

My mum had early menopause and she's now 70 and seems very healthy. I'll probably have an early menopause too and I'm not in the least bit worried (except with regards to my fertility).

You're probably going through perimenopause, which is pretty normal for your age. I really don't think you need to worry about anything.

Re: Early Menopause? Please help

Thank you for your reply. Of all the reading I did and I did a lot I never saw that it was a difference of about 3.5 years. I honestly thought it was 20 years or something. Honestly, googling can be so dangerous. I nearly had a heart attack.

Thread Information