Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Platitudes

Platitudes

I absolutely loathe them. Some of my worst are:

"I don't have a magic wand" (lazy psychs)

"We're all in this together" (no we're not)

"Think positively" (respect to FMP but in my case it's best to think realistically)

"You must reach out for help" (fine if you have an accessible and reliable source..not many do)

"Be kind" (fat lot of good with major issues)

Anyone else have any that they want to disclose?

Re: Platitudes

I hate 'think positive' too. It has the opposite effect on me, makes me more stressed. Sometimes just crappy things happen and blocking it out by thinking positive is not all that healthy imo. Best to acknowledge the feeling but try not to let it consume you (easier said than done) but I'm working on it. Another one I hate is 'what's the worst that can happen?'!!!!

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quite right, Agt P. Pffft.

"Chin up"!

Never Surrender, Comrade

In reference to "Positive thoughts"....

I'm very much a realist myself. My thoughts on many things are based totally on reality. I believe one can be positive and realistic at the same time. Its about finding those positives in the situations we face. That's what the "Positive Thoughts" thread is about. If one quote or thought can open your eyes if only for a moment, then that's a positive. However, there's a big difference between being realistic and negative/catastrophic as there is between optimism and pessimism. From what I've learned about anxiety is that the dragon loves a good catastrophe and some good old fashioned negativity, doom and gloom. The current situation we're facing and the forum posts are proof of that. At the same time, we can't deny reality and totally block it out with positive thinking as that's just too unrealistic BUT... positive thinking and attitude are the key to overcoming the difficulties we face.

The quote I've posted by Charles Swindoll is all about what I'm talking about.

"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes.” “We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. ... The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude."

To me, having control of my attitude is key. It was when I faced my health issues and all my life issues. I've not always been successful, but having that quote as a reminder day in and day out has helped me cope with life's curve balls.

My annoying platitude is "Good things come to those who wait". My experience has been, "If you want it, go out and get it!" You may not achieve it but at least you won't regret not trying. I believe the things we regret the most are the things we didn't due because of fear of failure.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 18-05-20 at 22:49.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I hate the one that goes, “I’m not a racist/bigot/homophobe, I hate everyone equally.” So what they’re saying is that they’re just an a$$hole. Why can’t they just admit it from the beginning?

Hahaha! Good one Pulisa.

The latest one is...be safe.

Took me about five minutes to get sick of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Hahaha! Good one Pulisa.

The latest one is...be safe.

Took me about five minutes to get sick of that.
    A young woman was scanning my shopping through and after we said goodbye and the usual take care stuff she added a pause before telling me to stay safe. I thought I had pulled!!!

Take these and make a follow up appointment to see me in 2 weeks.

When life has fallen apart and the earth is consuming you this response from your GP may be translated by your subtext filter, known to closely work with your BS detector, as 'just bugger off'.

Oh I’m guilty of so many of these. Throwing away a little comment because I can’t think of something better to say!

“It is what it is” drives me bonkers.

"These things happen for a reason".

That one makes me want to explode.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information