Thread: Any GAD sufferers take Diazepam long term? long post need a friend who gets me

Any GAD sufferers take Diazepam long term? long post need a friend who gets me

Back here again. Not been on in a few years. Bit of backgound I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder in 2007 and put on citalopram. That worked for 6 years and then i found my brother dead. After the trauma of that I had to switch meds and was put on everything under the sun and was told I had treatment resistant depression. Spent 6 weeks as an inpatient in a psych ward just a few months after having my youngest baby. It was horrendous. Anyway I left the hospital on 8 medications and managed to wean down to one, cymbalta (duluxotine). Recent stressors have brought me back on diazepam and as usual it has helped me enormously to the point where I can do my online degree college exams and look after my 3 children, im now a single parent. I've been on and off diazepam in the past 5 years. Went cold turkey which was absolute torture, then learned about Dr. Ashton method and came off after 6 months with no withdrawal effects whatsoever. Anyway. I'm weeks back on the diazepam was at 15mg a day now I'm on 10mg. I'm eager to stay on this a while until at least sept/oct. Just wondering are there many more GAD sufferers who take valium along with an antidepressent. My anxiety would get so severe quickly. I think this is due to the trauma of the psych ward and what i witnessed in there. I had 3 years psychotherapy following that. I have a new partner of 11 months and he is great. I found out my husband of 18 years was having an affair with a life long friend and our marriage ended. We are on good terms now, that happened 2 years ago. He's a great dad. I'm really rambling on here I realise that. I guess I just need some support. I've tried to book counselling but nobody in my town is seeing anybody due to covid and all online appointments are taken up. I feel lonely at times even though I've many friends. I'm a mature student doing a social science degree and my routine has gone due to covid. I am at home with 3 kids and doing exams online, have kept up with them all. Anyway. Sorry for the complete and utter ramble but this is the contents of my head right now. I am also partial to a few glasses of wine but only 2 and not every night as I'm studying. Thanks for reading if you have got this far, well done! I'm 40 by the way and was a regular user of this page. Had forgotten all about it until tonight. Have to ring my doc in a week and update. Hoping she will keep me on the diazepam for now as the thoughts of changing anything else (even though ive successfully withdrawn before) is far too much for me to even contemplate now. x
    Last edited by Asha1979; 19-05-20 at 02:06. Reason: date

Re: Any GAD sufferers take Diazepam long term? long post need a friend who gets me

40 views and no replies its ok stilll early have a great day folks x

Re: Any GAD sufferers take Diazepam long term? long post need a friend who gets me

Hi Ashaand welcome back.
    i am one that has been on and still have diazepam for my depression don’t take it as often as I am doing ok on a different AD the diazepam helps me especially at night when those intrusive thoughts creep in at least they numb me for a few hours. Most doctors over here don’t like dishing them out but my doc knows how bad my depression is.
    I don’t have kids through no fault of my own it must be tough when you are not coping mentally.
    No you are not rambling just letting out your feelings which is a good thing.Hope you get an appointment soon in the meantime be gentle with yourself x.

Hi Asha 😊
    I’ve never taken diazepam, but I have been offered it before. Do you find it helps?
    I have GAD as well and panic disorder since 2008 and have been on Citalopram since 2013.
    It sounds like you’ve been through a lot so well done on getting through it and continuing to do so!
    Take care, Kimberley x

Hi Asha
    I've been taking 5mg x twice daily for approx 17 yrs.
    After so long it probably isn't doing anything but has a placebo effect.
    It does help me sleep better though.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thread Information