Thread: IBS or cancer? How to tell?

IBS or cancer? How to tell?

Hello, my HA has been very good as I haven’t had to come to this forum for over a year now, but as always one little thing has creeped up and caused me to spiral. I’ve always had some bowel issues, looking at my past threads on here has reminded me of this, with symptoms like small hard to pass stool and feeling like i’m not finished after a movement. But for some reason I’m convinced it’s been more regular the last month or so, especially with my period, which of course is normal, but last month i had one horrible passing of diarrhea that made me feel faint! I usually have a bowel movement two or three times a day, which has always been the case, and they vary between being normal to being quite soft or being very hard to pass, causing me to strain only for one or two very small drops to come out, and then not feeling like i’ve finished. It is this unfinished feeling that worries me, as it is apparently a warning sign of bowel cancer. I’m only 19 and used to eat terribly but it’s been a lot better recently and i’ve been taking multivitamins, which has led to more regular and normal stool, but i still deal with the extremes on either end, either varying within one day or over the week. My mum suffers from ibs and says she was diagnosed at uni, like i am now, i describes all my symptoms to her and she said they are the exact same as hers, so obviously it makes sense that i also have ibs, my younger brother has also suffered from bowel problems for almost his whole life. I know if i were to see a GP (which probably won’t be for at least months due to covid) they will say the same thing, because bowel cancer is extremely rare in people my age, but I still hear about young people dying of bowel cancer because they were misdiagnosed with ibs which makes me worry the same will happen to me. I’m hoping someone can slap some sense into me and reassure me that it is just ibs, or tell me honestly if i should be seeing a doctor or not. thanks :-)

Re: IBS or cancer? How to tell?

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

In addition to your age, that pretty much says it all.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

In addition to your age, that pretty much says it all.

Positive thoughts
    Thank you, so if it was cancer, you are saying that I would be constantly experiencing pain and abnormal bowel movements? They would never be normal? Because even though I have days where it is normal, it is very frequently abnormal which is what worries me, as surely even cancer wouldn’t cause 24/7 pain? Maybe I am wrong but I am worried. The severe pain is also not always relieved by going to the bathroom, which is meant to be a staple of ibs, so this worries me more

Quote Originally Posted by caitlinn View Post
    Thank you, so if it was cancer, you are saying that I would be constantly experiencing pain and abnormal bowel movements? They would never be normal?
    That's exactly what I'm saying. I had Head and Neck cancer. The nodes in my neck grew.. and grew... and grew. In the months from the time I noticed the node, it went from a small grape to looking like I had the mumps on the left side of my neck! When I started feeling discomfort and pain, it was there 24/7 and was progressively getting worse. Cancer doesn't give you a break. It just keeps growing and getting worse.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information