Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctor wants my PARENTS to attend appointment with me. I知 27

Doctor wants my PARENTS to attend appointment with me. I知 27

Has anyone ever heard of this?

My doctor痴 nurse called me today and said my doctor wants both of my parents to attend the appointment I have scheduled for tomorrow.

Just for background info, my doctor knows my parents personally... But why would he want them to come with me? Any ideas?
    Last edited by Radiationworried; 20-05-20 at 17:05.

Re: Doctor wants my PARENTS to attend appointment with me. I知 27

Just an assumption based on your other post about radiation fears....

You've had quite a few tests in the last few years. Obviously, the reason being is that you felt something was wrong, went to the doctor and they, practicing CYA (cover your ass) medicine, ordered the tests, all of which showed nothing physically wrong. Perhaps its to discuss your mental health.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Not sure how it works over there, but could you refuse if your not comfortable with your parents going with you and just go on your own?
    Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
    Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
    Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)

That does sound strange. Your doctor seems to be overstepping the mark a bit, due to his personal relationship with your parents.

Or could your parents have set this up? Are they concerned about your mental health?

You are of course within your rights to say no. But perhaps it would be good to have some support from your parents if you're struggling mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Just an assumption based on your other post about radiation fears....

You've had quite a few tests in the last few years. Obviously, the reason being is that you felt something was wrong, went to the doctor and they, practicing CYA (cover your ass) medicine, ordered the tests, all of which showed nothing physically wrong. Perhaps its to discuss your mental health.

Positive thoughts
    I had this thought as well. Maybe since he knows my parents he wants to put their mind at ease that nothing is wrong with me.

A small part of me is thinking there痴 bad news. But he can稚 reveal anything like that because of confidentiality right?

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    That does sound strange. Your doctor seems to be overstepping the mark a bit, due to his personal relationship with your parents.

Or could your parents have set this up? Are they concerned about your mental health?

You are of course within your rights to say no. But perhaps it would be good to have some support from your parents if you're struggling mentally.
    I don稚 think my parents set this up. They seem genuinely shocked and concerned over it as well.

Do you know what your appointment is about?

It is sometimes common here for consultants to advise you to bring someone with you to appointments so that they can maybe support or ask questions on your behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    Do you know what your appointment is about?

It is sometimes common here for consultants to advise you to bring someone with you to appointments so that they can maybe support or ask questions on your behalf.
    I had scans and blood tests yesterday at the hospital because I致e been vomiting, no appetite and losing weight. (Now 95 pounds - my lowest ever)

Tomorrow is the follow up appointment after those tests.
    Last edited by Radiationworried; 20-05-20 at 17:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiationworried View Post
    I had this thought as well. Maybe since he knows my parents he wants to put their mind at ease that nothing is wrong with me.

A small part of me is thinking there’s bad news. But he can’t reveal anything like that because of confidentiality right?
    The doctor/patient confidentiality does come into play here but I'm in line with what you're thinking. No doubt your parents worry about you when you're suffering with physical symptoms but in light of the fact that tests have revealed nothing wrong thus far, he wants to reassure them and discuss your mental health.

I was actually going to ask what the appointment is for as well. In light of what you said, I agree with Scass. Let us know how things go...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Radiationworried View Post
    I had scans and blood tests yesterday at the hospital because I致e been vomiting, no appetite and losing weight. (Now 95 pounds - my lowest ever)

Tomorrow is the follow up appointment after those tests.
    Maybe the nurse got it a bit wrong and meant to say that you could bring your parents if you wanted to.

I think it痴 best not to read too much into it because you just don稚 know until you get there.

Let us know how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information