Thread: Anyone experience with Faverin (fluvoxamine)

Question Anyone experience with Faverin (fluvoxamine)

I was prescribed today Faverin (fluvoxamine) 100mg as a replacement for Escitalopram, since it wasn't working. I'm not finding much information here regarding Faverin (fluvoxamine), so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with it, if it works for anxiety/depression and what I should expect.

Thanks a lot

Re: Anyone experience with Faverin (fluvoxamine)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123 View Post
    I was prescribed today Faverin (fluvoxamine) 100mg as a replacement for Escitalopram, since it wasn't working. I'm not finding much information here regarding Faverin (fluvoxamine), so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with it, if it works for anxiety/depression and what I should expect.
    Fluvoxamine is the oldest SSRI still being prescribed (no fluoxetine (Prozac) wasn't the first). It is as capable of treating anxiety and depression as any other, but it does appear to be a little more effective for OCD than other SSRIs. The main issue with it is because of the way it is metabolised it can interact with a lot of other meds and otc supplements. This can be a problem if there are other significant health issues, but shouldn't be a concern if you're in reasonable health and it is the only med you're taking regularly.

From your posts in the escitalopram sub forum:

Had a visit to the doctor today and mentioned to her Buspar. She dismissed it (it seems buspirone is not available here).
    Pity.

Also mentioned that probably the reason it's not working is that I have stopped several times and she said that's not true,
    There is considerable evidence ADs become progressively less likely to work each time they are stopped and restarted. Higher doses may also be needed to achieve previous levels of control. See: Bosman RC, 2018; Amsterdam JD, 2016; Amsterdam JD, 2009; Amsterdam JD, 2009; Leykin Y, 2007); Paholpak S, 2002).

She initially suggested going to 30mg Escitalopram and later changed the mind
    20mg is the recommended maximum dose due to concerns about the med's affect on the heart although this has probably been exaggerated.

and prescribed Faverin 100mg. Now I'm not sure what to do, try out Faverin, which she said can be done overnight, played out with increased Escitalopram dosage or look for alternatives?
    Don't increase the escitalopram dose unless it is approved by a doctor for the reason given above.

While SSRI dose equivalence isn't an exact science most can tolerate a direct overnight switch from one SSRI to another at roughly comparable doses, but some dose adjustments may be required later.

Re: Anyone experience with Faverin (fluvoxamine)

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer. At this point, I'm considering to continue with Escitalopram for a few weeks and in the meantime get a second opinion from another doctor. I do not have other health issues and probably Fluvoxamine would be fine, but probably there are better alternatives that you mentioned.

Again your help it's appreciated.

Thread Information