Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowel obstruction

Re: Bowel obstruction

Thank you for your reply, I just cant tell what's real and what's anxiety. I may call my gp in the morning.

I think that would be a good idea.

I hope I'm not sounding mean here, I'm just trying to help you the same way I was helped when the health anxiety left me so upset I couldn't think straight.

I appreciate your honest answer.
    How did you manage your HA

(Disclaimer: I thought I had a -perfectly harmless- migraine aura starting a couple of nights back and panicked so badly I nearly puked)

Anyhow, I (mostly) manage my HA with a number of strategies. Firstly, a low-dose SSRI that regulates the anxiety and depression I've had for thirty years and puts me in a better frame of mind to deploy other coping strategies, namely:

1) Breathing exercises. Take forever to work, and you need to practice them often. However, once you have them in your arsenal they're the single most effective way of controlling severe panic. They've made the difference between me feeling awful for a couple of hours and me being nonfunctional for a week.
    2) Engaging my senses, especially those that aren't sight or hearing. If my anxiety's tweaking, I burn incense. More generally, I always feel a lot more stable if I spend time cooking in the kitchen.
    3) Acceptance. I'm mentally unwell, which means that sometimes my thoughts are faulty. Luckily, I have an excellent husband who knows how to help me. If things start to get difficult, I ask him if I'm being irrational. If he says yes, I believe him. Conversely, if he thinks my health worries are justified even though I'm petrified of doctors.

It's not a perfect solution, but it helps me stay mostly functional and on an even keel.

Thank you, today has been an absolute nightmare. I think I need to try medication again, I need to live a life where I can have some control over my emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    Thank you, today has been an absolute nightmare. I think I need to try medication again, I need to live a life where I can have some control over my emotions.
    There are several members who have been where you're at (many still are) and medication helped immensely. Some of those members I haven't seen on the boards in ages after the meds kicked in. They also sought professional help (CBT, one on one therapy etc.). I know, even for myself, when I've faced mental challenges (depression and 'scanxiety'), meds and therapy really made a difference. The bottom line is taking the initiative and working hard on yourself.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I think you should look at the links your GP sent you and at least consider the very helpful advice Blue Iris has sent you. Contacting your GP should not be your first and only "coping" mechanism especially as he/she seems happy to just refer you for tests as a fob off. I really hope that now you have spoken out about your HA then any doctor you may see will help you with this and make life far more manageable for you. Taking back control will be such a liberating feeling after so many years of hell.

Spoke to dr, thinks pain is my hip.
    Has prescribed a low dose anti depressant

After a week of thinking I had an appendicitis, I've gone on to a hernia.
    I lifted some heavy shopping yesterday and felt a strain in my groin area.
    Its hurting today, but there isnt a lump.
    I start the antidepressants on Monday.

Anyone

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information