Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gastritis? Or worse?

Gastritis? Or worse?

Hi. I've been suffering with a bout of bad anxiety since March and have hurled myself from one illness to another. I'm currently having counselling to address this. In mid April after 2 weeks of being unwell i rang 999 and was advised to take an aspirin dry. Within 20.minutes I developed an ache in my upper tummy. Since then I've had bloating and nausea (nausea was there before) which have both settled but now I keep getting aches in my chest and upper tummy still. Esp after eating and in evening. Dr prescribed omeprozole and I'm on day 2. Today its particularly bad in the centre of my chest and earlier I had this awful burning taste come up my throat which is still there but I took the omeprozole without water about an hour prior to this. My question is, is it really possible for anxiety to manifest such awful symptoms? I'm obviously convinced it's some type of cancer as I tick so many boxes. Prior to all this I was on antibiotics twice for two weeks each time (Jan and March). Could they have caused such issues. I'm feeling so panicked. I know many of you will eye roll at seeing my name again but I'm really feeing desperate. Sorry for the long post.

Re: Gastritis? Or worse?

Hi sorry your not feeling great. I get such bad chest pains and stomach ache when my anxiety is high. The chest pain is right in the middle and goes through to my back. My stomach also feels so tender that sometimes just sitting up hurts. If feels like someone is wrapping a right band around my ribs. Anxiety does horrible things to us and as easy as it is for me to say if you can try and relax a little I’m sure your chest and stomach will feel better. Try and go for a walk or watch tv anything to stop you thinking about it. I find if I expect it then it happens

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes, that's how it feels for me. The reflux is making me cough too. Exactly like you say, I sit and wait for it and I think that brings it on. I eat and then just expect it x

Yes exactly like that, it happened to me.

I would recommend gaviscon too. And not over-eating.

I just got over a bout of gastritis. I say just got over - it seems as though the last two days have been good to me with only the late nights troubling me.

I had a constant burning pain that got worse when I was hungry. I also felt a bit sick. Gaviscon worked but then I switched to Rennies as Gaviscon was making me feel funny.

Keep on the omeprazole, I've heard it can take up to a week to start working. I would also recommend eating little and often and try to take antiacids a little bit after eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1108 View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes, that's how it feels for me. The reflux is making me cough too. Exactly like you say, I sit and wait for it and I think that brings it on. I eat and then just expect it x
    Try eating a little instead of your whole meal then do something after to take your mind off it. Then as a day or so passes you’ll be able to eat a little more without even thinking of the pain. Gaviscon is great and so Is a glass of milk.

I find that a nice warm bath or hot water bottle really helps with it if I can’t stop my mind from working overtime. Put your phone away and read or watch tv stops the temptation to google and make it all worse

Good luck!

Thank you so much for taking the time out to respond. I forgot to say in my original post that when I was unwell for 2 weeks end of march /beginning April, I didn't eat for over 2 weeks. Ate maybe the odd piece of toast and that was it. I'm wondering if that triggered this whole episode. Currently in bed with pains in my ribs and trying not to over think it x

I'm having hiccups now and the area below my ribs hurts if I push it in and recreates the reflux sensation. So worried its a tumour.

Anxiety probably triggered the episode. It’s what triggered mine - long term, unmanaged anxiety. It still flares up after a bad episode.

I've had a really tough 12 months with family issues and this episode of anxiety has been quite severe so I have been very stressed out. Hopefully things will start to improve.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information