Thread: Asthma Flares, Throat & Chest Pain

Asthma Flares, Throat & Chest Pain

Hi everyone,

First time posting, just trying to work through my latest HA flare.

For the past couple months I've been experiencing pretty severe flares in my asthma, having to double my usual inhaler dosage and sometimes reach for my rescue inhaler as well. In addition, I've been experiencing some pain in my upper chest when inhaling, and a scratchy, itchy feeling in my lower throat (larynx area), along with some soreness and hoarseness (especially at night - even if I haven't talked a lot that day, my throat feels and sounds like I've been yelling for hours). These symptoms have waxed and waned over the past 8+ weeks, but are present most days. I'm scheduled to see an allergist in hopes of pinpointing what might be causing this. I know that all of these symptoms could be put down to indoor/outdoor allergies, postnasal drip, or possibly even GERD. The throat irritation may be because of my increased inhaler use too. However, I often scare myself into thinking that something more sinister is going on in the throat, lungs or chest.

Has anyone experienced something similar, or would anyone be willing to talk me down?

Thank you in advance!

Re: Asthma Flares, Throat & Chest Pain

All I can tell you is what you already know. I'm around an hour and a half west of DC in the States and the allergies this year so far have been brutal. I literally have a yellow coating of pollen on my car in the mornings And yeah, reflux can cause hoarseness and you're adding asthma to the mix so here you are.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yes, probably exactly the same thing.
    I’m putting it down to allergies / stress etc.

I’ve had something similar. I’m asthmatic, and up until a few days ago, hadn’t really been going outside much. However, when my panic attacks flared up, my therapist reminded me that going outside to get some exercise is helpful.

Since I started doing that, I’ve had some chest tightness, and some discomfort when inhaling. Hey be also needed my rescue inhaler. I have a lot of health anxiety, but the rational part of my brain is chalking it up to asthma and outdoor allergies.

I’m also prone to acid reflux, and that for sure irritates your esophagus.

Thread Information