Thread: I think I am doing all right, is it just a matter of letting time pass?

I think I am doing all right, is it just a matter of letting time pass?

I don't have any physical symptoms of anxiety any more, its all just basically fear of fear and intrusive thoughts. With the feeling of dread I am just accepting it and trying not to give it attention and just going on with life. I find when I am at work or whatever I don't even notice that anxious feeling any more. It only really appears in evenings and weekends, any time when I am free basically. I haven't really found anything outside of work that gets my focus, TV and movies dont work. Books not so much either unless they are anxiety related but I am trying to get off the subject of anxiety all together. I am just doing what Claire Weekes suggests, Face, Float, Accept and let time pass. I think I am just impatient.

As for the intrusive thoughts, I have the old self harm though, not that I have any intention of ever acting but these just to scare the crap out of me and I reacted badly hence why they've stuck around. Now I am labelling them as they pop up "Intrusive thought" letting it stay as long as it wants which isn't usually very long. I used to worry about these thoughts all day, now they dont happen as much and when they do they dont have a sting in their tail so I assume I am doing all right.

Would love some feedback if this is all the way to go as I am doing this solo without meds or therapy, no judgement just my personal opions

Re: I think I am doing all right, is it just a matter of letting time pass?

Sounds like you're doing exactly the right things to be honest, and should be congratulated for your progress so far.

You're in the transition stage between constant suffering and 'normality'. It's not really a linear process and you probably find some days easier than others, but that's also completely normal.

I would say that patience and letting time pass is still the right approach, and that impatience is normal. It's not a fast process and you still have to unlearn the negative mental habits from the past. It takes time (months/years) to rewire your brain, but you're doing the right thing.

I would always recommend adding meditation to the practice of acceptance as meditation is in itself the practice of acceptance. It helps cement all thoughts as almost irrelevant, good or bad. It allows you to experience a difficult thought and just let it happen. Whilst it's great that being occupied removes anxiety related issues from your life, you still need peace in the quiet times too, and meditation underpins that.

Although I had a course of CBT over a decade ago, the majority of my recovery took place solo, no meds too. So you can do it too.

Re: I think I am doing all right, is it just a matter of letting time pass?

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Sounds like you're doing exactly the right things to be honest, and should be congratulated for your progress so far.

You're in the transition stage between constant suffering and 'normality'. It's not really a linear process and you probably find some days easier than others, but that's also completely normal.

I would say that patience and letting time pass is still the right approach, and that impatience is normal. It's not a fast process and you still have to unlearn the negative mental habits from the past. It takes time (months/years) to rewire your brain, but you're doing the right thing.

I would always recommend adding meditation to the practice of acceptance as meditation is in itself the practice of acceptance. It helps cement all thoughts as almost irrelevant, good or bad. It allows you to experience a difficult thought and just let it happen. Whilst it's great that being occupied removes anxiety related issues from your life, you still need peace in the quiet times too, and meditation underpins that.

Although I had a course of CBT over a decade ago, the majority of my recovery took place solo, no meds too. So you can do it too.
    Thanks man.

Thread Information