Thread: Buscopan and constipation?

Buscopan and constipation?

Hi everyone

I’ve been having some bowel issues for the last 9ish months. I’m pretty sure I have ibs but never been told officially.

In September last year I noticed (what I thought was) dark red blood/blood clots in my stools. I went to the doctor. He did an examine for pile (nothing found) checked my stomach (fine) and a blood test (normal). He referred me to a consultant anyway to be on the safe side (mostly because I have the brca2 gene mutation, even though bowel cancer isn’t really associated with this). Anyway I later noticed while inspecting my stool (I know!) that what i thought was blood was actually red pepper! I then obviously felt stupid and ended up cancelling my appointment with the consultant.

Then in mid April the same thing happened again. Now there’s a tiny possibility that it was food again (thought I’m about 98% sure this time it’s was actually blood. I also had once instance of a black stool, though it was solid not tarry and mixed with softer ‘normal’ coloured stools so idk.

Went back to the doctor. This time he said he could ‘maybe’ feel a pile. He also is going to refer me again once he can due to everything going on. He also prescribed buscopan. I’ve never taken it before and it did help with some of the cramping. I took it regularly for about a week then it was a bit hit an miss. However, now for the last week I’ve have awful constipation. Really struggling to go and straining really hard. This is really unusual for me as I’m normally ‘looser’. Has anyone else experienced this with buscopan? I’ve been drinking loads of water and going on walks but nothing is helping. I’m just freaking out a bit because ive been taking the fact that my toilet habits hadn’t changed as a good sign but now this has happened.

Thanks.

Re: Buscopan and constipation?

Hi Sarah,

I've had IBSD for years (told by GP but no other tests)
    Know what you mean about red pepper

Just want to let you know that mine has been pretty bad for several weeks now, I'm sure it's due to extra anxiety caused by the lockdown.
    On my doctor's advice I've been taking Buscopan for a couple of weeks.

It's certainly helped with cramping pain but it does seem to be causing constipation, which is unusual for me.
    If you look at possible side effects (and I try not too!) you'll find constipation listed.

My GP has suggested mebeverine which apparently you can take alongside buscopan. Although I think I'll try one at a time to see which works better for me.

I don't know about you but mine is definitely made worse by stress. As you mentioned, drinking lots of water and gentle exercise is good and anything we can do to relax more.

Talk to your doctor again if you're worried but honestly, I'd think the constipation is caused by the Buscopan.

Take care xx

Re: Buscopan and constipation?

Hi thank you for replying

I think you’re right about the stress, even though i don’t feel stressed I’m sure there is a low level of stress that everyone is feeling at the moment. I know I’ve had one of the worse bouts of HA for the last month of half (all focused on my bowels too) so I’m sure that’s not helped.

The Buscopan got rid of my cramps too, but the constipation has just been horrendous so I’ve stopped taking them. It is slightly improving so hopefully I’m heading in the right direction.

I did look at the leaflet that came with the buscopan and it didn’t mention constipation but it does list it as a possible side effect on the NHS website. So I just need to try not to overthink it (easier said than done!)

thank you again for your reply

Thread Information