Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are swelled feet a sign of anything?

Are swelled feet a sign of anything?

My son (who's 18) walked out to me a while ago without any shoes or socks on.
    Whatever way I looked at his feet I thought they looked a bit swelled, but I wasn't sure.
    I tried to look a few times before he went back into his room, without him noticing, but I'm still not sure.
    He was after having a shower about 30 mins before that, not sure if that would make a difference to feet or not.
    I know swelled feet (if he even had them) are a sign of something (heart problems come to mind straight away) but would there be other signs of something wrong as well?
    Please someone tell me this is the dragon breathing down my neck again - he's doing so much of that these days

Re: Are swelled feet a sign of anything?

Usually it's due to over exercise or being on one's feet for too long. Has he had this before?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Usually it's due to over exercise or being on one's feet for too long. Has he had this before?
    It's definitely not due to those 2 reasons anyway - he hadn't been doing much up to that point today.

I don't know if he's had it before, and I'm not 100% sure if he has it now either.
    My feet are fairly thin and bony, always have been. Perhaps I'm just comparing them to mine, and then my HA mind is blowing it out of proportion. He appears to be fine and healthy otherwise.
    It's just that nagging "what if this is something" thought is going through my mind again

Do you have pitting edema? You can test for this yourself. Push your finger into the skin that is swollen. Does it leave an indent?

I had this problem. For me it was a result of daily drinking. When I quit alcohol it went away and has never returned. If you have pitting edema you're retaining water in your feet. Generally means nothing if you've been sitting on chair all day for example, or on your feet.

Can be a sign of liver damage, kidney damage, blood pressure issues or heart problems. Obviously I'm not saying this to cause you worry. Just sharing my experience of having this myself.

If it's not pitting edema, it's likely nothing to worry about.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Sorry, I read its your son who is 18. That's too young for any of the above. Sitting around, or being on your feet, can cause them to swell a little.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Hi

It's normal for ones feet to swell slightly if they have been very sedentary. Gravity pulls blood down to the lower extremities, and without moving about will be slower to circulate. That said, I wouldn't worry to much regardless. Your concerns are very similar to someone thinking their left palm is atrophied compared to the right. Leave that determination to the medically trained as I'm sure your son is just fine. Take care

I remember when I was a teenager and my Mam would drag me away for Sunday drives and walks. I was a very "online" kinda teen and wouldn't walk anywhere I didn't have too. Long story short- my feet would swell up after walking. Even it was hot and if he was wearing certian socks or shoes it can all lead to some swelling! I'm sure he's fine x

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thank you all for replying. I was starting to calm a bit last night but I'm in a bad way again this morning over it. Just thinking the worst, terrified it's a heart problem.
    Am I completely over reacting? Because I know I've been doing a lot of that lately.
    And I don't want to say it to him if it's all for nothing, I try to hide my HA from the children. What do I do?

How does he feel? Does he feel like his feet are swollen?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    How does he feel? Does he feel like his feet are swollen?
    I don't know, and I haven't asked him.

I don't want to say it to him because of my history of completely over reacting when it comes to health issues. And I have been in a bad spiral lately.

Would a person generally know if their feet were swollen? Would it cause some sort of discomfort?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information