Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sore on Scalp?

Sore on Scalp?

Hello again T_T
    I’m trying to get better about controlling my anxiety — even planning to find a therapist. My last mole panic ended, thankfully, but now something new has started up.
    I’ve always had some issues with a dry, flaky scalp. Unfortunately, a big part of my OCD is picking at my skin, so I often mindlessly run my fingers through my hair pick while I’m doing things. (Kinda gross.)
    A few days ago, I noticed I had what (I think) is a bit of psoriasis around my inner panty line areas. The skin was pale, scaly, and after I started moisturizing it it’s been itchy as hell. I guess add psoriasis to my list of problems.
    So that brings me to my new fear... I was running my fingers through my hair and noticed this one particular spot. It gets flaky a lot. I scratched at it out of habit, and now it’s like.... leaking, I guess. It’s wet my hair around the roots a bit and when I touch my finger with it, I can feel it. So, I freaked out and asked my fiancé to look at my scalp. He said it’s not red or anything, just clearly picked at too much. I tried to calm down, but I already feel myself obsessing : I keep feeling for it, and even kept trying to take videos with flash to see if I could spot anything. From what I saw.... it’s only a little red but you can definitely see the dampness. Now I’m freaking out. Even though I know this is likely just the result of me scratching too much, and the reoccurring peeling spot could be tied to psoriasis or something, my brain keeps clinging to the worst!
    I’ve had a lot of problems with my skin, but honestly, I’m not too familiar with psoriasis. Not even sure if that’s what it actually is, but that’s the closest thing I can think of. I read that eczema is more likely to weep than psoriasis, so I wonder if it could be that, too. It’s just so ITCHY still but feels so raw. Ugh.

Has anyone had anything similar? The leaking immediately made my mind jump to something really bad. 😞 Does it sound like psoriasis? Honestly, considering shaving my head down again just to see things like this better....
    Last edited by aloy-; 28-05-20 at 14:13.

Re: Sore on Scalp?

Yup. I get eczema from seasonal allergies, and sometimes I get it on my scalp. After I wash my hair, I put some cuticle oil (you know the stuff you use on your finger nails) on it, and it helps without getting my hair too greasy or me having to switch to a dandruff shampoo.

I've had this recently but mine was at the front near my fringe and was sore not itchy. It was a few bits of squamous cell so I had the frozen Freddie. Now I always wear a sunhat

Thank you for your response!! Does yours scab over the next day? I’ve noticed it’s kind of sitting where my glasses bump against, so I’m wondering if that’s irritating it too? 😞

Oh no!! I’m sorry!! Mine hasn’t really been sore, I don’t really notice it until it itches and then I end up scratching it. I managed to get a picture of it, though it’s kind of hard to see and of course, it’s scabbed right now... do you think it’s something I should go to the derm for? https://imgur.com/a/TO8gnVZ

Yes, it scabs if I itch it till it bleeds.

It looks like regular dry skin. Quit picking at it.

Thank you 😞 it’s such a pain when I notice things like this, because I keep telling myself to leave it alone but that obsession makes me keep poking at it. I know this spot in particular has felt like this before, maybe last month I think, but the picking does become such a mindless thing that I’m sure I’ve only kept the spot around longer without even realizing I was messing with it. Skin cancer is one of my greatest fears, my grandma had skin cancer at one point (she’s fine now) but it’s something that triggered me pretty badly.

Quote Originally Posted by aloy- View Post
    Skin cancer is one of my greatest fears, my grandma had skin cancer at one point (she’s fine now) but it’s something that triggered me pretty badly.
    Just about everyone who's lived in NZ or Australia has had some kind of skin cancer due to the strong UV rays. Basal cell is the most common and is 100% curable, likewise squamous cell carcinoma. I had one of these cut from my shoulder last year and it was contained so all fine. Most fair skinned people have a mole check every year and even melanoma is curable when caught early. My brother had it about 10 years ago and it was all removed. He was a blond, blue eyed, weed smoking surfer back in the day He now has checks every 3-6 months.

Thank you so much for your reassurance!! I feel better now, I’m a bit overdue a skin check (I went two years ago due to another anxiety flareup) but I’ve been monitoring all of my usual spots. This one just caught me off guard, I guess. I meant to schedule an appointment a few months ago, but once all of the virus stuff kicked off.... well, that hasn’t been easy on me either, lol. I think I’ll keep an eye on it for a week or two. I’m going to look for things to treat eczema, too, to rule out if that could be the cause. Not too sure if eczema can cause one spot in particular to keep flaring up, but I do have some other spots on my scalp that can feel just as scabby and dry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information