Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panic buying now forgotten about?

Panic buying now forgotten about?

As we all remember back in March when the COVID-19 outbreak was really starting to get going both here in the UK and worldwide, there was a lot of panic-buying going on with epic stampedes for toilet rolls, pasta, etc, which suddenly seemed to peter out from around early April onwards, and now seems to be mostly forgotten about as if it hadn't even happened at all.

With the benefit of hindsight, I wonder if all that hysteria was really justified (and possibly a waste of our time, energy and mental health), especially as most people eventually came to their senses and realised that there were no actual (or at least mega-significant) shortages of anything.

What does anyone on here think now looking back?

Re: Panic buying now forgotten about?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    As we all remember back in March when the COVID-19 outbreak was really starting to get going both here in the UK and worldwide, there was a lot of panic-buying going on with epic stampedes for toilet rolls, pasta, etc, which suddenly seemed to peter out from around early April onwards, and now seems to be mostly forgotten about as if it hadn't even happened at all.

With the benefit of hindsight, I wonder if all that hysteria was really justified (and possibly a waste of our time, energy and mental health), especially as most people eventually came to their senses and realised that there were no actual (or at least mega-significant) shortages of anything.

What does anyone on here think now looking back?
    Yes indeed the hysteria of the panic buying public . I’ve often since wondered what that was all about, & who & what started the fixation on the toilet roll buying, its not like it was a ‘norovirus’ pandemic, in which case i could quite understand the panic, but surely a high fever & related symptoms doesn’t necessitate the need to stock pile 50 toilet rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmum View Post
    Yes indeed the hysteria of the panic buying public . I’ve often since wondered what that was all about, & who & what started the fixation on the toilet roll buying, its not like it was a ‘norovirus’ pandemic, in which case i could quite understand the panic, but surely a high fever & related symptoms doesn’t necessitate the need to stock pile 50 toilet rolls.
    Yeah most shops around here are open as normal now. The media caused that hysteria and I really think they need to pay for that by introducing reporting restrictions for the big media giants. It's twisted and sick what the newspapers do.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmum View Post
    I could never quite fathom the extreme demand specifically for toilet rolls, especially as they're not all made in China and exported to the rest of the world, which was probably one of the big fears in the beginning that eventually proved to be unfounded. One other plausible explanation could be viral (no pun intended) videos circulating online that I think were of scenes in supermarkets in Australia, accompanied by Black Friday-style frenzies, and the associated madness that ensued.

As for Norovirus, that seems to be a 'pandemic' pretty much every autumn-winter, especially during the past 20 years or so that perhaps twas ever thus but we could previously had been unaware of pre-21st Century, especially with the way the media in general have gone ever since.

It's still quite hard to get certain baking supplies online - I've had to resort to buying bulk yeast.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Yeah most shops around here are open as normal now. The media caused that hysteria and I really think they need to pay for that by introducing reporting restrictions for the big media giants. It's twisted and sick what the newspapers do.
    Agreed, this was totally manufactured by the controlled media. As Trump says, they are truly the enemy of the people. They focused on toilet paper inparticular to make asses out of the public.

Water, TP, paper towels, beef roasts, gloves and cleaning supplies are all still only available to buy in limited qualities in our stores here in socal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    Agreed, this was totally manufactured by the controlled media. As Trump says, they are truly the enemy of the people. They focused on toilet paper inparticular to make asses out of the public.
    It's all cyclical dude. You can't declare the media the enemy when the public consumption of them drives their force. They are both a cause of and a product of the problem. For example, Trump says the media are the enemy of the people, but he, through his own production of media in Twitter, is part of the problem. When people stop giving ratings to infotainment and start consuming more unbiased news programing or when the public actually starts demanding that certain outlets stop producing biased programming, you might see things change.

Or you can just wait till I take over

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post

Absolutely, WiredIncorrectly. Very reminiscent of the many typical 'moral panics' and 'hysteria' of the past that were amplified and exacerbated by the press. And over the past 2-3 months or so they have had many epic field days. Pretty soon they will be blowing the next 'big thing' out of proportion big time. I bet your life!!

Also the 'two of the same item only per person' policy (apart from the very small number of designated items) in our local Co-op store now has all but gone the way of the dodo.

I don't think it's accurate to say the media caused the panic. The media lit the fuse, but it was individual people actually panic buying that caused the self sustaining problem. The shops themselves were saying that there were no shortages of anything, but people STILL went ahead and bulk bought stuff they didn't need. It was this that caused the issue.

People should really take responsibility for their own actions. The media is just information, it's up to us to act accordingly.

We all claim to know that the media are evil corporate twisters of truth, so why do we react?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information