Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panic buying now forgotten about?

Re: Panic buying now forgotten about?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    As we all remember back in March when the COVID-19 outbreak was really starting to get going both here in the UK and worldwide, there was a lot of panic-buying going on with epic stampedes for toilet rolls, pasta, etc, which suddenly seemed to peter out from around early April onwards, and now seems to be mostly forgotten about as if it hadn't even happened at all.

With the benefit of hindsight, I wonder if all that hysteria was really justified (and possibly a waste of our time, energy and mental health), especially as most people eventually came to their senses and realised that there were no actual (or at least mega-significant) shortages of anything.

What does anyone on here think now looking back?

I kinda worry it may start again as the bulk buyers could think everyone will get there before them !

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    People should really take responsibility for their own actions.
    Nah, it’s far easier to blame it on some big bad organisation that nobody has ever seen. That way you’ve always got someone to blame when you fall on your ar*e.

Lets be real here. If there is a threat of a snowstorm, the shelves are empty and has nothing to do with the media. People are freaked out by a lot of things that lead to panic buying. As Antsy said, here in the US, some things are still hard to come by (try to find disinfectant wipes) and there are limits on how much you can buy.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    It's still quite hard to get certain baking supplies online - I've had to resort to buying bulk yeast.
    I understand supplies are on the rise...

[/B]

Absolutely, WiredIncorrectly. Very reminiscent of the many typical 'moral panics' and 'hysteria' of the past that were amplified and exacerbated by the press. And over the past 2-3 months or so they have had many epic field days. Pretty soon they will be blowing the next 'big thing' out of proportion big time. I bet your life!!

Also the 'two of the same item only per person' policy (apart from the very small number of designated items) in our local Co-op store now has all but gone the way of the dodo.
    June is Brexit deadline month and it's looking like no deal. So The Guardian and Indy will need their hyperventilation brown paper bags ready. That old cliff edge guff will be back in fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Nah, it’s far easier to blame it on some big bad organisation that nobody has ever seen. That way you’ve always got someone to blame when you fall on your ar*e.
    I don't think you can absolve the press either. It's both parties sharing responsibility for their own part.

They are not always reporting facts, their opinions are often more the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I don't think it's accurate to say the media caused the panic. The media lit the fuse, but it was individual people actually panic buying that caused the self sustaining problem. The shops themselves were saying that there were no shortages of anything, but people STILL went ahead and bulk bought stuff they didn't need. It was this that caused the issue.

People should really take responsibility for their own actions. The media is just information, it's up to us to act accordingly.

We all claim to know that the media are evil corporate twisters of truth, so why do we react?
    Thank you. You said it better than I did.

There are still a few things that I can never get - cornflour, icing sugar are two off the top of my head.

I think the media fanned the flames, but I also think that it’s what people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    There are still a few things that I can never get - cornflour, icing sugar are two off the top of my head.

I think the media fanned the flames, but I also think that it’s what people do.

A kind of vicious circle, I'm afraid.

[/B]

A kind of vicious circle, I'm afraid.
    Yes.

Because even though I didn’t participate in panic buying at the time, now I generally make sure I’ve got at least 2 of most things. Whereas before, I’d generally just wing it because I’d be going to the shops most days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information