Thread: Scared I'm Faking My OCD

Question Scared I'm Faking My OCD

Hi everyone, I've been using this site since 2014 for GAD help. But today, I was finally diagnosed with OCD and it's very new territory for me.

After talking to my doctor, I'm scared that I'm faking it! During my appointment, I felt like I was exaggerating my symptoms just because I'm desperate for someone to take me seriously and actually help me. I told her about rituals and fixations that I struggled with in high school, but since I've been in college they've bothered me less. Now I'm worried that the medication she prescribed me with will be unnecessary. I feel like I lied to her even though I was perfectly open about this.

Has anyone felt like this before? A lot of the symptoms I had during high school went away without treatment. I still struggle with intrusive thoughts and health anxiety, but it's been a long time since I've has compulsions. I'm worried this means that I don't actually have OCD anymore and I'm just being overdramatic. Like the diagnosis would have applied to me in high school but not so much now. Is this worth bringing up with my doctor? I'm scared of starting medication if I don't really need it.
    But then again, she probably knows best. Any advice would be helpful!!

"There's always someone, somewhere, you should know by now - always somebody who cares." -Paul McCartney

Re: Scared I'm Faking My OCD

Jamie, as someone who's read your stories for a few years on here, and the OCD diagnosis makes sense to me. I say this lovingly, but you're one of the most neurotic people I "know". One of my good friends has OCD. She was diagnosed when we were in college together, and it was life-changing for her. She's been on meds for almost 20 years now, and her life is more normal than mine, and I don't have an OCD diagnosis. I hope this helps you too.

Hi there, thank you so much for the encouraging words. I hadn't realized that anyone actually recognized my username on here or was familiar with my posts - and that makes me feel a little less alone.
    Looking back through my previous threads, you're right that historically I've been pretty neurotic. It's so easy to fall into impostor syndrome and feel like I don't actually "need" help, when in reality it will probably make all the difference.
    I appreciate your consistency throughout the years and I hope that all is well with you

"There's always someone, somewhere, you should know by now - always somebody who cares." -Paul McCartney

Thread Information