Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optic nerve slightly inflamed

Optic nerve slightly inflamed

At a recent eye test my optometrist said my optic nerve was slightly inflamed in both eyes. On the report he wrote "NOT papilloedema" which initially helped ease my brain tumour fears, but I've been worrying a lot about MS.

I saw my GP after the appointment and she said I didn't have symptoms of optic neuritis and my vision is excellent. She didn't think any further action was required before I went back to see him to check if the swelling has changed at all.

The appointment is next week and I'm really having trouble controlling my anxiety about a brain tumour (apparently I've worried about MS so much that I've made peace with that). I've had a tension headache for a month. Not bad enough to take painkillers and I had the same thing happen last year both times due to pressure at work, but knowing there's something wrong with my optic nerve has me rattled.

It's hard to put symptoms down to anxiety when you have an actual medical issue and I am a huge catastrophiser so my mind keeps taking me to scary places.

I'm trying to remind myself that my GP said the optometrist told her it might just be a normal reading for me and it might be nothing, but it's so hard.

Re: Optic nerve slightly inflamed

I had inflammation of the optic nerve which caused double vision. The optition sent me straight to my gp who send me to hospital. Basically what I am saying is, if your gp AND optometrist think there is nothing to worry about then you should relax. If they thought something was wrong they would have sent you straight to hospital.

Stupid as it sounds maybe drop the caffeine a little if you are a fan of coffee.

I had another episode of night blindness in my left eye last night and was panicking about a TIA so went to the emergency department today. They did a thorough eye and neuro exam plus an ECG and said my eyes look really healthy and there's no signs of a TIA so that was a relief. They said to follow up with the optometrist about the optic nerve inflammation, but there's no sign of optic neuritis so I'm feeling a lot calmer now. I was so scared to go to the hospital, but am glad I did.

Inflammation of the optic nerve can be something as simple as sinus from my understanding. Glad you got the ok.

Had my appointment with the optometrist today. After a bunch of tests that I swear were designed to make me blind, he says all looks good.

I say, "what a relief, so I don't have to worry about MS".

He says, "Not necessarily," then tells me he's also not convinced I didn't have a TIA.

With my panic rising I say "I'm seeing my GP tomorrow, what should I tell her?"

He says "Tell her you're fine. Back to normal."

At this point I want to strangle him, but instead I say "Okay, so see you in 12 months?"

and he says "Unless anything changes."

So I'm 90% reassured.

Now I just need to get good blood test results tomorrow.

I'm no doctor but it is my understanding that it unlikely that ms would affect both eyes at once. Ms attacks the nerve which is where the inflammation comes from. So for both eyes to be affected would mean 2 attacks at the same time. I would also imagine some damage to have occurred. Blurred vision, double vision etc. Usually recovers over time or with steroids.

Like I say I am no doctor and i may be wrong.

GP has ordered a brain MRI just to be sure nothing's going on. That's in 2 weeks time.

Hi Carrie, I am also experiencing similar tension headache to you. Have you had any luck with it thus far? I've had a pressure headache on the top of my head and sometimes on the back/temples (basically all over) for over 2 weeks now and it's constantly there. Nothing really seems to ease it, sometimes get my wife to massage my neck/shoulders and that does help, but then I convince myself that it's all in my mind. All I keep thinking about is a brain tumor like yourself.

Hi RVP, the headaches are better, but still there most days (especially when I think about them). I desperately need a massage on my neck and shoulders but things are still closed here.

My MRI is in 7 days. At this point I'm convinced I have a tumour and MS and liver/pancreatic cancer (blood tests my GP ran for the headaches showed slightly elevated liver enzymes). It's amazing how I can write this and know it's crazy, but still be gripped by fear that it's true. I keep trying to remind myself that I'm not a psychic.

I hope you get some relief soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information